• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was 13 now 19. Filed a case, nothing happened..now what??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rachelsbass89

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
WA State.

(excuse my spelling)

At the time I was best friends with a girl that played guitar. We decided to for a band (just being girls and playing music) she always complained about wanting to kill herself and i never understood why. She introduced me to her step father who offered to give me bass lessons, i always wanted to play music so I of course said 'hell yeah'.

When I started getting lessons I realized that something was not right. I was 13 at the time. Lets just say his name was bud. Bud always said how gorgeous i was and specail. I was having problems at home and he always would let me takl about it. I thought he was my best friend. (I was 13 ok, now looking back at it, classic child molester!)
He asked me to be his girl friend, he had a way with words that you could not say no..

My mom wanted to meet him, so she did. And left her then husband for him...

I was in a 'relationship' with him at the time. He threatened my life, my families lives and his own. I was scared and told no one.

My friend then came to me one day and told me that 'bud' had taken her virginity...

I had a sleep over another time over there (i realize i should not have and am very very guilty for it!)

my other friend thought that he was cool for him getting us drunk...she also lost her virginity to him that night...

After years of abuse and secrecy I told my mom.

She didnt believe me and kicked me out at 16. Thankfully I had awesome friends and some awesome family that took care of me.
She said i didnt want her to be happy!! All I wanted was for someone to believe me and for me to be able to get out..I knew it was wrong what happened to myself and two friends..

The cops said they were going to get involved, but then I never heard from them.....

Then when I was a senior in high school one of the other girls decided to go to the cops...we were questioned at school by the detective...we wrote oute statements and audio recorded (at school with the counselor sitting there)

I was still not living at home, the detective told us that they were going to collect more evidence..
I tried to talk to as many people as I could and no one believed us...

I heard nothing for about 6 months....
I called the police office who said that they gave it to the prosecuting attorneys office..and then the prosecuting attorney said that they never got it from the police department...then i was told that i didnt even have a case started for me..but my friend did.....

I am a witness in my friends case...i saw it happen, and she saw it happen to me as well..how could she not be a witness in my case...

also I cant get any answers from teh police department at all!!!
(did i mention that 'bud' is an ex cop???? wierd huh)

I was told I have too many charcter witness's against me..

where is my file!????
I want justice, I live in a town of under 6000 and I cant seem to get any help!!

I have no idea what I can and cant do. I have asked and cant seem to get any answers!!

Im getting very VERY frustrated because I am now 19 and this has been going on for years!!

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!

CdwJava

The burden of proof necessary for a CRIMINAL conviction is much greater than that needed for liability in a civil suit. If you have witnesses that somehow know that he slept with you when you were underage, then maybe an attorney will agree to take your case ... provided 'Bud' has some assets.

The police just may not have the evidence they need to convict. A child molestation case can be very difficult to pursue. A conviction for a case that is a few years old is nearly impossible absent a confession or credible witnesses to the act itself (which may sometimes leave open the possibility of the witnesses - if they are adults - being prosecuted, too). In a case where it comes down to witnesses, credibility is a key issue. if your credibility is poor, then they have no real case.

At this point I would recommend two things: (1) get some counseling for the anger and guilt you feel, so that you can work through this. And, (2) be the best witness you can possibly be for your friend's case. At least you can get justice vicariously through her case if he is convicted.

- Carl

rachelsbass89

The reason that they said I had no proof on my case was because I had too many character witness' against me.. the thing that I find wierd though is that the witness' they asked were people like my mom and his ex girlfriend..and the investigator told me all they said was that 'bud would never do such a thing'

thats enough to throw out a case???

I cant go about the city police or prosecuting attorney's office??

It happened to 3 girls that I know of, how can this case not be taken seriously when the other girls say it happened to them too??

how can I be a witness for my friends but they are not for me??

And yes we SAW it happen!!

Im very very frustrated, and I am going to a counselor.....But im getting more upset with the legal system then I am with 'bud!'

How am I suppose to feel safe or know that he is not doing it to other girls!!!???

Oh and I have emails, from 'bud' to me. None of them say that yes I had sex with you.. they just mostly say from him 'Sorry and everything will heal with time!'

Why would he be sorry and saythat if nothing happened!!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont get how he can get away with this, and I am turned into the bad guy!!!

CdwJava

I cant afford a Lawyer in this case since I didnt commit the crime can I not have a public deffender??
You're not charged with a crime ... are you??

Only suspects (people charged in a criminal case) who are unable to afford legal representation have the luxury of court appointed counsel.

- Carl

CdwJava

The reason that they said I had no proof on my case was because I had too many character witness' against me.. the thing that I find wierd though is that the witness' they asked were people like my mom and his ex girlfriend..and the investigator told me all they said was that 'bud would never do such a thing'

thats enough to throw out a case???
It's not enough to go to trial.

From what you say, here is a summary of the state's case: YOU say he had sex with you over a period of time when you were 13 through 16 ... HE denies it ... Your mother and the ex girlfriend don't believe you ... summary: Your word against his. Very, very weak.

I cant go about the city police or prosecuting attorney's office??
What do you mean, "go about"?

They cannot make a case without proof. If the prosecutor goes to trial he or she has to prove a case beyond a reasonable doubt. With only YOUR word, reasonable doubt is likely a given unless there are witnesses to the act. Perhaps there are people you told at the time - friends you confided in, adults, counselors, someone. Without these people from a few years ago coming forward to admit that you told them all about it way back when, then the case is incredibly weak.

It happened to 3 girls that I know of, how can this case not be taken seriously when the other girls say it happened to them too??
Perhaps their cases are stronger than yours.

But, even three girls saying that it happened to them is not necessarily proof beyond a reasonable doubt. I can find numerous cases where girls conspired to make stuff up for a friend ... again, they need proof (statements, witnesses, some strong circumstantial evidence, etc.) or an admission.

how can I be a witness for my friends but they are not for me??
Depends on the details of the situation.

And yes we SAW it happen!!
They saw it happen to you, too?

Im very very frustrated, and I am going to a counselor.....But im getting more upset with the legal system then I am with 'bud!'
Even in the best of circumstances, these cases are extremely tough to make. If they are not pursuing yours, there is a reason for it.

The police and the prosecutors have no love for molesters. If there is a way to prosecute him, they will. These are NOT easy cases to make. I know, I supervise my agency's Investigations Division and prosecuting molesters is my job.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">