• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you bail someone out of juvie in California?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The one very very close to me was prevented. Those are the parents I spoke of and of whomever reported op’s friend.

I made the point that apparently there was something on the internet concerning the one today where the two victims were shot and nobody did anything.
I concur. And understand.

quincy

... A student was arrested just a day ago after his parents reported him to the police ...

... I applaud the parents in the situation near me and whomever reported your idiot friend for acting when they heard the threat or for some other reason believed there was a reason for concern.
I have been surprised in the past that the parents of school shooters seemed either oblivious to or unconcerned by their children's activities to the point where their disturbed children were allowed to accumulate massive amounts of weapons.

It is also strange that I/we have come to applaud those who act in reasonable and responsible ways to threats of violence by reporting these threats to law enforcement officials. It should be the normal and common thing to do but too many will see warning signs and don't report them.

As an aside, I personally see no reason for "levity" in a school shooting thread.

Last edited:

justalayman

It is also strange that I/we have come to applaud those who act in reasonable and responsible ways to threats of violence by reporting these threats to law enforcement officials. It should be the normal and common thing to do but too many will see warning signs and don't report them.
You’re right that it shouldn’t be worthy of applause when a parent or other person reports something suspicious but given society of the day, I think it may be needed to let the reporters know they did the right thing. People, especially parents, can be reluctant to report issues such as this. Whether it’s because they don’t want to be involved or refuse to believe their child/friend/associate is capable of such heinous acts, showing approval of the reporters actions is the best way I can think of to let the public know it is the right thing to do.

HRZ

So let him or her sit in juvie ...it's not your job to assist in any release decisions ....and apparently this is not a case of some 6 year old having a plastic spreader knife in his lunchbox for his packaged spreads

quincy

You’re right that it shouldn’t be worthy of applause when a parent or other person reports something suspicious but given society of the day, I think it may be needed to let the reporters know they did the right thing. People, especially parents, can be reluctant to report issues such as this. Whether it’s because they don’t want to be involved or refuse to believe their child/friend/associate is capable of such heinous acts, showing approval of the reporters actions is the best way I can think of to let the public know it is the right thing to do.
I know that is why we make our approval known and I agree that it seems necessary to do so at this point in time.

It might be important for people to know that reporting their legitimate suspicions does not get them in any legal trouble. A report only gives authorities reason to investigate. Reports can be made anonymously if one fears reprisal from the subject of the report.

justalayman

I know that is why we make our approval known and I agree that it seems necessary to do so at this point in time.

It might be important for people to know that reporting their legitimate suspicions does not get them in any legal trouble. A report only gives authorities reason to investigate. Reports can be made anonymously if one fears reprisal from the subject of the report.
Please return our like button. I want to use it here.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I have been surprised in the past that the parents of school shooters seemed either oblivious to or unconcerned by their children's activities to the point where their disturbed children are allowed to accumulate massive amounts of weapons.

As an aside, I personally see no reason for "levity" in a school shooting thread.
Because no one was shot and the Maryland news today was bad enough ....I just wanted to take a break from it... this thread we are lucky as no one was hurt ... too many other times people haven’t been that lucky

CdwJava

And the authorities for actually doing something about it.
We do that all the time here. We have had interdisciplinary assessment teams covering the schools in a number of counties for years out here. I was on one of those teams through its existence until I retired in 2015. They work ... or tend to. But, they are not a guarantee.

quincy

We do that all the time here. We have had interdisciplinary assessment teams covering the schools in a number of counties for years out here. I was on one of those teams through its existence until I retired in 2015. They work ... or tend to. But, they are not a guarantee.
The new law in Florida is being tested with a risk protection order filed by authorities against the Parkland shooter's brother. The order if issued would allow for the (temporary) removal of all weapons from the Cruz home.

The brother of the Parkland shooter was arrested for trespassing on the school's grounds after being warned to stay away from the school. He is being held for a psych evaluation. The brother is also restrained from contact with his incarcerated brother.

Although police can try to prevent school shootings, without laws in place to support removal of weapons, police efforts might not be very effective. I see the Florida law as a step forward in protecting children (if it works as designed).

Last edited:

CdwJava

The new law in Florida is being tested with a risk protection order filed by authorities against the Parkland shooter's brother. The order if issued would allow for the (temporary) removal of all weapons from the Cruz home.
We recently enacted a similar law that is still being tested. That one came about as a result of the UCSB shootings a few years back. I don't feel all that comfortable with the legislation, legally, as it smacks of subjectivity without due process ... but, I have not personally had to deal with it so I cannot say with certainty how it might be applied. Conceptually, it appears ripe for abuse ... though, I suppose the same can be said about most any legal process.

Although police can try to prevent school shootings, without laws in place to support removal of weapons, police efforts might not be very effective. I see the Florida law as a step forward in protecting children (if it works as designed).
The preventative process, and the use of tools for protection, are why I am a HUGE advocate for restraining orders. Without them, the police can often do nothing to intercede when the behavior is, objectively, non-criminal but still menacing when placed into context.

quincy

We recently enacted a similar law that is still being tested. That one came about as a result of the UCSB shootings a few years back. I don't feel all that comfortable with the legislation, legally, as it smacks of subjectivity without due process ... but, I have not personally had to deal with it so I cannot say with certainty how it might be applied. Conceptually, it appears ripe for abuse ... though, I suppose the same can be said about most any legal process.

The preventative process, and the use of tools for protection, are why I am a HUGE advocate for restraining orders. Without them, the police can often do nothing to intercede when the behavior is, objectively, non-criminal but still menacing when placed into context.
Restraining orders are good but the problem I have with restraining orders on their own is that they are too often violated by the one restrained. Sometimes with deadly results. The (temporary) removal of weapons while there is a mental health evaluation of the weapons-possessor seems a small price compared to the life of a child.

I would think most law enforcement officers would approve of the Florida law.

CdwJava

Restraining orders are good but the problem I have with restraining orders on their own is that they are too often violated by the one restrained. Sometimes with deadly results. The (temporary) removal of weapons while there is a mental health evaluation of the weapons-possessor seems a small price compared to the life of a child.

I would think most law enforcement officers would approve of the Florida law.
These "violations" (which, technically are not legal violations) are frustrating and very often cause the courts to drop violations that are alleged against the perpetrators.

I have not read the text of FL's law so I cannot comment on the specifics of it. But, it's one thing to seize firearms when someone is taken for a mental health evaluation, another thing entirely if it allows for seizure based upon a mere accusation. I worry that some allegedly preventative measures can skirt Constitutionality.

However, as it happens in CA, while the firearms can be returned if the 5150 hold is not accepted (i.e. they are released a short time later - like minutes or hours without a hold) retrieving the firearms can be impossible due to the hoops the CA DOJ has set up so it can become a defacto firearms confiscation without any legal compensation for the loss of property (in one case, they were valuable antiques).

quincy

These "violations" (which, technically are not legal violations) are frustrating and very often cause the courts to drop violations that are alleged against the perpetrators.

I have not read the text of FL's law so I cannot comment on the specifics of it. But, it's one thing to seize firearms when someone is taken for a mental health evaluation, another thing entirely if it allows for seizure based upon a mere accusation. I worry that some allegedly preventative measures can skirt Constitutionality.

However, as it happens in CA, while the firearms can be returned if the 5150 hold is not accepted (i.e. they are released a short time later - like minutes or hours without a hold) retrieving the firearms can be impossible due to the hoops the CA DOJ has set up so it can become a defacto firearms confiscation without any legal compensation for the loss of property (in one case, they were valuable antiques).
The constitutionality of some aspects of the Florida law are already being questioned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">