• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does an 18yo need parental permission to play high school sports?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Spencerhay99

I am 18 years old and live in Massachusetts. The basketball season is coming up and my parents told me i cannot play because of my grades. My grades meet the athletic requirement to play, but not theirs. Do i still need parental permission to play? I live in Massachusetts if that helps

HRZ

The school may not have the final say...the parents could show junior the door at 18 if junior does not like the home rules .

OP ..BTW unless you area good enough to be likely to get a basketball scholarship to a college which is something to dscuss wh parents...playing basketball s not likely to have a long term payoff...but like it or not graduation from a 4 year college does seem to matter a lot as to lifetime earnings potential

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Their house, their rules. If you want to move out and pay all your own expenses while still going to school and playing basketball, you're an adult and they can't stop you from doing so. But if you want to live in your parents' home and have them pay the rent/mortgage, utilities, health insurance, groceries, etc., then they get to make the rules.

adjusterjack

Their house, their rules. If you want to move out and pay all your own expenses while still going to school and playing basketball, you're an adult and they can't stop you from doing so. But if you want to live in your parents' home and have them pay the rent/mortgage, utilities, health insurance, groceries, etc., then they get to make the rules.
Exactly right.

Spencerhay99

I was looking for answers that had to do with the legality of everything. I had missed school because of a broken leg and want able to make up work for a class. If i cared about your opinion i would have said so. Unless you can answer my question, don't bother.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You got the legal answer. Ask the school. It will be a school district determination. MA law does not take a stand on the matter but the local school district may.

You also got the legal answer - if you don't want to follow the house rules, your parents can kick your ass out into the street. And that's perfectly legal too.

HRZ

You got sound legal answers ....you are perfectly free to go out for basketball....just remember to have a travel bag packed in case parents are serious about other views .

HRZ

PS if your school requires parental permission and uses a service like FamilyID then the short answer is until you find an exception to the parental signature...the School best follow its own rules !

Spencerhay99

I couldnt care less about being kicked out. I wanted to know if the school was legally allowed to let me try out because i know that if your parents say no to the school, as a minor you cannot try out.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I couldnt care less about being kicked out. I wanted to know if the school was legally allowed to let me try out because i know that if your parents say no to the school, as a minor you cannot try out.
Once you are 18, the school is not required to get parental consent. But no law prohibits the school from requiring it anyway, and many high schools require it of all students regardless of whether they are 18; it just makes it easier for the school to apply the same rules to all students.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Stomp stomp stomp! I don't want your opinions, you stupid adults!

Yeah yeah yeah - you're going to get mine anyway. Good for your parents for having - and attempting to hold you to - academic standards. Extracurriculars come after your *real* job, which is school.

ajkroy

I am a high school teacher in MA, and our school requires parent/guardian's permission for participating in all sports (in fact, nearly all school-sponsored activities, including dances). Age does not matter. We have 20 year old students who need signed permission slips to go to the Prom. Many of my teacher friends in neighboring schools tell me their schools have the same policies.

HRZ

Frankly any coach who permitted a tryout without a medical and permission as (if) required by school policy should be on a short list for dismissal. ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">