• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drugs around child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hidden1

I'm in Tn an a Tennant in my property has let someone else in to stay against the lease..The lady staying has a 4 yr d girl .I will be Evicting the lady an girl an also Tennant. but I just noticed a smell of pot after doing a repair.
Do I need to contact DCS or police or what? Reguarding possible drugs around child?..there have been police call on welfare check once last week.

An will this effect the process of eviction?

quincy

I'm in Tn an a Tennant in my property has let someone else in to stay against the lease..The lady staying has a 4 yr d girl .I will be Evicting the lady an girl an also Tennant. but I just noticed a smell of pot after doing a repair.
Do I need to contact DCS or police or what? Reguarding possible drugs around child?..there have been police call on welfare check once last week.

An will this effect the process of eviction?
Do you have a "drug-free property" clause in your leases?

I include one in all of my leases that allow for immediate termination of the lease and eviction based on a material breach of the lease if there is any drug-related activity (with reference to 21 USC 802 section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act).

Even without the clause (which just makes lease termination easier), you can contact the police if you suspect illegal drug activity and you can call child protective services if you suspect the child may be in danger. Neither should interfere with your own actions against those illegally occupying your rental.

Last edited:

HRZ

AS posted elsewhere , I'd take the steps to,evict ALL of them based on whatever breech you claim, soon! .

I have no clue if your local PD takes pot seriously...in some urban areas with a sanctuary mentality it's a total fizzle ..and in mine, the PD is really not interested unless it a link two steps up the delivery chain , that said I'd make a prompt call to local PD .

quincy

... I have no clue if your local PD takes pot seriously....
Marijuana possession and use is against the law in Tennessee so I don't see why the police wouldn't take a report seriously. Possession at a minimum is a misdemeanor with a $250 fine and the possibility of up to one year in jail. And there are additional penalties for not having a tax stamp.

A link to Tennessee's laws: http://norml.org/laws/item/tennessee-penalties-2

It is possible, I suppose, that one of the occupants has a medical CBD.

Hidden1

Sent certified eviction notice...10 day.
Several reasons..

Waiting for her to get it Monday but I left a copy on storm door last nite.
Last Tue sheriff served her roomate with a filed eviction..should had put both on it but 3 days later this mess w tenant happened...

commentator

I hope to goodness DCS wasn't involved. They get calls similar to this many times a week. It is using our government resources to attempt to work out our prejudices and personal vendettas, not based on any true concern about any child ever, and it's very hard on the children involved.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It seems that you have several rental properties with problem tenants. Perhaps it would behoove you to be more careful who you rent to?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I hope to goodness DCS wasn't involved. They get calls similar to this many times a week. It is using our government resources to attempt to work out our prejudices and personal vendettas, not based on any true concern about any child ever, and it's very hard on the children involved.
That was my impression as well.

Hidden should learn to hide his/her prejudices better, because s/he is on the road to having a housing discrimination case against him/her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">