• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help, my parents have my money!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Anovak2018

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Illinois. I worked for $10 an hour for about 4 hours a day, 5 days a week, and 8 hours a day 1 time a week for about 9 months then I worked for the same pay but 8 hours a day 5 days a week for 3 months. I accumulated about 10k at the end of the summer and after all other things I bought I ended up with $6200. I gave this money to my parents to prove I can buy a car and now they will not give it to me because they say it’s not mine until I can prove it’s mine. My ex_boss will not vouch for me and they said they did the math and it doesn’t add up. I am 17 going on 18 , what can I do. I’ve done everything I could think of to get it back.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Illinois. I worked for $10 an hour for about 4 hours a day, 5 days a week, and 8 hours a day 1 time a week for about 9 months then I worked for the same pay but 8 hours a day 5 days a week for 3 months. I accumulated about 10k at the end of the summer and after all other things I bought I ended up with $6200. I gave this money to my parents to prove I can buy a car and now they will not give it to me because they say it’s not mine until I can prove it’s mine. My ex_boss will not vouch for me and they said they did the math and it doesn’t add up. I am 17 going on 18 , what can I do. I’ve done everything I could think of to get it back.
How did you "give it" to your parents? Check? Direct deposit? Cash? How did you get payed? Was it under the table?

FlyingRon

Your parents are entitle to your money. What you can do about it is at 18 you can move out, find your own place to live, get a job, pay rent, food, medical...

Just Blue

Your parents are entitle to your money. What you can do about it is at 18 you can move out, find your own place to live, get a job, pay rent, food, medical...
Are you sure Ron? About the parents are entitled part....The rest I agree with. :)

eerelations

I'd also like to know how you got paid - by cheque or with cash? Plus, why won't your former boss "vouch" for you? Was this some sort of illegal job?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
She's a minor. She's entitled to a roof over her head, a couple changes of weather appropriate clothing and food.

That's about all she's entitled to by law.

HRZ

THe law says you are on wrong path in IL...parents are entitle to services and earnings of unemancipated children .
Case is Zozaski Sorry I could not get paste to work . But that stuff goes back at least to our British legal roots.

quincy

She's a minor. She's entitled to a roof over her head, a couple changes of weather appropriate clothing and food.

That's about all she's entitled to by law.
But that is not the law for all minors working at all jobs in all states. :)

You can look at the Coogan Act of California and its equivalent laws in New York, New Mexico and Louisiana.

You can also look at UTMA assets.

To best protect earnings, a minor can open a bank account and have the employer directly deposit earnings in the account. The parents cannot withdraw the money unless they petition the court.

A child's inheritance also (generally) belongs to the child.

Not that any of this addresses the concerns expressed here by Anovak.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
But she is not in California, New York, New Mexico, or Louisiana. Nor do we appear to be discussing UTMA.

Last edited:

quincy

It was cash at a legal business, he won’t vouch because he thinks it is all a big mess.
It sounds like a big mess.

Are you still working? Do you have a work permit?

Open an account in your name and deposit all future earnings in this account.

Why won't your parents let you have the money you earned?

Anovak2018

I'd also like to know how you got paid - by cheque or with cash? Plus, why won't your former boss "vouch" for you? Was this some sort of illegal job?
It sounds like a big mess.

Are you still working? Do you have a work permit?

Open an account in your name and deposit all future earnings in this account.

Why won't your parents let you have the money you earned?
I don’t have a work permit, didn’t know I needed one. They think that it’s not mine as if I stole it.

Just Blue

Yes it was paid under the table, it was given to them in cash.
Quit your job. Go to the mall or wherever and get a JOB that pays you legally. Also get a checking or savings account. Also report the (STBX) employer for his tax fraud. This is the advice I would give to my children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">