• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Housing after 18?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FrustratedMom38

Does Florida law require that we continue to house and support our son after he turns 18 if he is still in high school? He dropped out because he refused to attend about two weeks ago. Now he may or may not go to Adult Ed to finish out his high school diploma.
This child has been horrible to live with. He stole $400 from our bank account, stole both of our cars on numerous occasions, went to in-patient care for marijuana use, actually brought pot into our home, barracaded himself in his room so that we couldn't get in to get him up for school multiple times, faked illness on innumerable occasions, put holes in his bedroom wall, destroyed his door frame, curses, is mentally abusive and just plain uncontrollable. I threaten to take his Xbox and he threatens to hit me. I can't take this anymore. I feel like a prisoner in my own home.
So, please tell me if I have to keep him under our roof when he turns 18 if he isn't attending adult education classes and purusing his high school degree.

PS: He's only half way through 10th grade now.

HomeGuru

FrustratedMom38 said:
Does Florida law require that we continue to house and support our son after he turns 18 if he is still in high school? He dropped out because he refused to attend about two weeks ago. Now he may or may not go to Adult Ed to finish out his high school diploma.
This child has been horrible to live with. He stole $400 from our bank account, stole both of our cars on numerous occasions, went to in-patient care for marijuana use, actually brought pot into our home, barracaded himself in his room so that we couldn't get in to get him up for school multiple times, faked illness on innumerable occasions, put holes in his bedroom wall, destroyed his door frame, curses, is mentally abusive and just plain uncontrollable. I threaten to take his Xbox and he threatens to hit me. I can't take this anymore. I feel like a prisoner in my own home.
So, please tell me if I have to keep him under our roof when he turns 18 if he isn't attending adult education classes and purusing his high school degree.

PS: He's only half way through 10th grade now.
**A: why are you not calling the police and have Family Court intervention?
You are an enabler.

FrustratedMom38

HomeGuru said:
**A: why are you not calling the police and have Family Court intervention?
You are an enabler.

Because the !@#$% cops won't arrest him. The weed wasn't found in his posession and when he was caught with our stolen car he was just charged with driving without a license. I am NOT an enabler and I am HIGHLY offened that you would say that I am. I sleep with my wallet under the mattress because the boy has broken into our room while we sleep in order to steal the keys and cash out of my purse and my husband's wallet.
Please, just answer my question and don't judge me. I've got enough crap right now without some stranger adding to it.

Last edited:
A

azmother3

Honestly I would have to agree. Family Intervention should have happened a LONG time ago. I wont give anymore opinions but think that it is totally the parents fault when children get this way.

However case at hand is that once they become a legal adult you are no longer responsible for them.

Caligirl1971

I understand your frustration and must point out one statement of yours in particular that struck a chord with me. You stated that when you threaten to take away his X-Box, he threatens to hit you? WHY does he even have an X-Box after the behavior pattern you have spoken of? I know people parent differently and I must say that if our son had ever threatened to hit his mother I would have handled it. Sometimes the father needs to step in. Take away his X-Box, remove the door from his room, and as stated above, call the police and have hit butt hauled off. Sounds harsh, but it needs to be done.

seedpuppy

Most places I would think if you recieve a threat look in to it......call and say that he is threatening you...........If that doesn't work he still has to do what mommy and dadddy say and well boot camp is very nice this time of year.......and instead of punishing him try to react to his actions if you don't mind me saying so if he steals don't get mad at him instead "torture him" say okay you stole to day now we are going to have family time.......sounds odd but it may work sometimes doing the reverse of what doesn't work works.....just a thought taking education courses sorry......but it is a technique to try if nothing else is working hey what can it hurt.....? And if he threatens you or even lays a hand on you 911 works wonders..........

FrustratedMom38

seedpuppy said:
......and instead of punishing him try to react to his actions if you don't mind me saying so if he steals don't get mad at him instead "torture him" say okay you stole to day now we are going to have family time.......sounds odd but it may work sometimes doing the reverse of what doesn't work works.....just a thought taking education courses sorry......but it is a technique to try if nothing else is working hey what can it hurt...
That's the best advice I could have gotten. He was all OVER family time and even WANTED us all to play together. Thank you.

ConnyNR5

this is not legal advice:
don't give up on your child he needs you,teenagers just don't know how to express what it is they want,he needs to feel loved and that he is part of the family.Try talking to him,not only about what's on his mind but also to get to know him as a peson all over again ie:what are his likes and dislikes.Ask him if he has suggestions what every body could do together on the weekends.
Fighting and punishments never work,you are the grown up,so it is up to you to make positive changes.Try to get a counseler involved.You can tell your son you want to learn to be a better Parent and help in understanding were he is comming from,if you tell him this than he is not as likely as feeling as if you think something is wrong with him,because there is not.Teenagers do act in bizarre ways,that doesn't make them "bad"just difficult to handle.
I wish you so much luck in getting your relationship with your son back on track.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">