• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I made a fake threat on a videogame

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

andezack

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN
so basically two months ago I was in a videogame and made a fake threat. Now two months later I was just confronted by a FBI agent and two cops at school. I am under 18. The threat I made was to a random school in texas. I was questioned today about it. What type of criminal charges could I face?

quincy

so basically two months ago I was in a videogame and made a fake threat. Now two months later I was just confronted by a FBI agent and two cops at school. I am under 18. The threat I made was to a random school in texas. I was questioned today about it. What type of criminal charges could I face?
Terroristic threats.

Have your parents contacted an attorney for you? You should not speak to law enforcement officers without your attorney present. If questioned, exercise your right to remain silent.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I should think that with all the news about attacks at school teens would know by now that making any kind of threat about attacking a school is likely to land them in serious legal trouble. In the current environment they are going to treat every threat as though the person meant it; saying you made a “fake” threat is not going to get you a lot of sympathy. You’re an adult so if charges are filed you’ll be facing adult consequences for this, not a juvenile delinquency proceeding. Probably a good idea to start scouting out lawyers in the event something further comes out of this.

quincy

I should think that with all the news about attacks at school teens would know by now that making any kind of threat about attacking a school is likely to land them in serious legal trouble. In the current environment they are going to treat every threat as though the person meant it; saying you made a “fake” threat is not going to get you a lot of sympathy. You’re an adult so if charges are filed you’ll be facing adult consequences for this, not a juvenile delinquency proceeding. Probably a good idea to start scouting out lawyers in the event something further comes out of this.
Those who post these threats are not exactly known for being mental giants.

PayrollHRGuy

18 U.S.C. 875 also contains federal laws on the issue when the threat is made via interstate commerce which a video game would be.

PayrollHRGuy

(c)Whoever transmits in interstate or foreign commerce any communication containing any threat to kidnap any person or any threat to injure the person of another, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">