• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor blackmailing another minor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

poopydoops12

I live in the state of New Jersey.
Hi. My friend and I (both 16) are in high school and this boy Will* (15) is blackmailing our friend Tracy* (17). Will has a recording of Tracy saying something that if released could ruin her life. Will is forcing her to be his friend and plans to force her into a relationship soon. She has no choice because she cannot risk the information getting out. He told her if she does anything out of line he'll tell the authorities about what she's hiding. It's very serious. She didn't do anything illegal, but let's just say it's not a petty high school secret. We know Will to be very manipulative and to have sociopathic tendencies. Will is suicidal and if he does kill himself he promised Tracy that he would write in his final wishes for the recording to be released. We don't have a way to take the recording away from him and telling the truth about what we know would ruin Tracy's life. She's the only person of his "friends" left. Everybody else has left him in the dust because of his emotional abuse. We don't know what to do. (*Names are changed for privacy, but ages are accurate).

quincy

Hi. My friend and I (both 16) are in high school and this boy Will* (15) is blackmailing our friend Tracy* (17). Will has a recording of Tracy saying something that if released could ruin her life. Will is forcing her to be his friend and plans to force her into a relationship soon. She has no choice because she cannot risk the information getting out. He told her if she does anything out of line he'll tell the authorities about what she's hiding. It's very serious. She didn't do anything illegal, but let's just say it's not a petty high school secret. We know Will to be very manipulative and to have sociopathic tendencies. Will is suicidal and if he does kill himself he promised Tracy that he would write in his final wishes for the recording to be released. We don't have a way to take the recording away from him and telling the truth about what we know would ruin Tracy's life. She's the only person of his "friends" left. Everybody else has left him in the dust because of his emotional abuse. We don't know what to do. (*Names are changed for privacy, but ages are accurate).
Because you seem to know all about it, why can't you report the "blackmail" to the police? If Tracy did nothing illegal, the police can handle the information with care.

poopydoops12

Because you seem to know all about it, why can't you report the "blackmail" to the police? If Tracy did nothing illegal, the police can handle the information with care.
As stated in the story, telling the truth about what we know would ruin Tracy's life. There was a crime involved but Tracy was not the perpetrator.

quincy

As stated in the story, telling the truth about what we know would ruin Tracy's life. There was a crime involved but Tracy was not the perpetrator.
Then I suggest that Tracy seek out an attorney in her area and tell the attorney what is going on. What is said to the attorney is privileged (confidential).

Other than speaking to a lawyer or the police, I don't know what you expect can be done - by you or by Tracy.

HRZ

Tracy discusses this with attorney ..darn soon .

BTW , if the 15 year old , pushes her for sex..SHE has big problems as he is too young to consent.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I just have to say that, while it may seem as if it will ruin your friend's life, there is very little that can happen at this point in your lives that actually rise to that level.

xylene

I just have to say that, while it may seem as if it will ruin your friend's life, there is very little that can happen at this point in your lives that actually rise to that level.
People have made it clear that minors year old who have made threats against schools, credible or not, that their lives are now ruined.

A tape of a girl saying see wanted to kill classmates, teachers, burn the school or something... her life would be ruined.

An internet mob has driven more than one girl to suicide over slut-shaing over bare breast teen photos.

People get blacklisted from careers over an insensitive tweet.

Everything is very serious now and I'm willing to take it at face value that this tape could contain 'life ruining' content.

LdiJ

You need to encourage Tracy to speak to a trusted adult. Either her parents, or the school counselor or someone else she trusts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">