• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MIP charge, need advice please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thompson_4ty9

What is the name of your state?Washington State

Hey,

heres what happend:

I was in a car with 4 other people (all minors) and we were driving to a dance. The 3 of us in the back were drinking on the way. We stopped at a gas station one of the individuals ran inside and bought a beer, how i dont know. We were pulled over and my self and another individual (he was extremley intoxicated) were given a breath test and then charged with a minor in possession. I blew a .167 in the test. I was very cooperative and respectful of the officers. I made a statement in it I said that the intoxicated individual charged with me gave me orange juice and I dident know that it had vodka in it. I then also stated that I saw bill buy the beer from the store. (which I did). Under my intoxicated and very scared state, I lied in the statement. I brought the mixed orange juice into the car and I knew what was in it.
this is also my first offense of any kind.
my question now is can I change my statement if I go back and explain this to the officer or should I just run with the story.
also, what can I do to lessen the punishment? what is deferred adjucation?
I am a canadian citizen living in the US on a temporary visa. how will this effect mine and my familys status here?

any information helps,
thank you very much

Wolflmg

Honesty is the best policy. Think of it this way, would you rather be the one tell them the truth now, or wait and see if they find out you lied to them?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">