• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parents refusing to take 16 yr old to doctor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sgtpprz

Arizona

My best friends parents are hippies. They have pretty much modernized but they still refuse to take any of their three kids to a doctor (they go to the dentist regularly though...). My best friend is 16. She always seems to be sick, but she has never been to a doctor in her life. Today she said she has been having horrible pain and really wants pain medication. Everytime she mentions anything to her mom she suggests asprin, tea or rest. What can she do? Is it against the law to keep a child from getting medical attention if they need it? They obviously don't have medical insurence, so what should she do? We don't want her parents to get in trouble. I know that my friend wouldn't do anything that got her parents in trouble, even ifit helped her. What can she do? And what, if anything, can I do as a friend?

Basically, do her parents have the right to deny her medical help because she is a minor?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Arizona

My best friends parents are hippies. They have pretty much modernized but they still refuse to take any of their three kids to a doctor (they go to the dentist regularly though...). My best friend is 16. She always seems to be sick, but she has never been to a doctor in her life. Today she said she has been having horrible pain and really wants pain medication. Everytime she mentions anything to her mom she suggests asprin, tea or rest. What can she do? Is it against the law to keep a child from getting medical attention if they need it? They obviously don't have medical insurence, so what should she do? We don't want her parents to get in trouble. I know that my friend wouldn't do anything that got her parents in trouble, even ifit helped her. What can she do? And what, if anything, can I do as a friend?

Basically, do her parents have the right to deny her medical help because she is a minor?
How do you know SHE NEEDS a doctor? Why does she immediately believe she needs pain medication? What is the pain from? Many girls get pain from menstrual cramps or what not but that doesn't mean they need a doctor.

Tallrat

If she really thinks she needs to see a doctor, Have her go to a teacher, minister, police dept and discuss it with an adult who can intervene and help her.

slwx

just like to point out that if she went to see a dr, they probably wouldn't give her anything for the pain other than what she can already get at the drugstore over the counter.

doctors are very reluctant to give out any kind of prescription pain medication due to the addiction/abuse issues -- and the younger you are, the less likely you are to get it.

the dr might try to find the source of her pain -- which could be a good thing -- but she won't automatically get narcotic pain meds.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">