• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pulled Over Driving On Temporary Permit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

downonmyluc

I'm 17 and reside in Ohio. I was home alone on a cold winter day (10 degrees though it does not justify my actions) and had work. I took a chance and drove myself to my job and was pulled over for a non function license plate light. Of course the vehicle was towed and I currently have a court date. I have no prior encounters will law enforcement. What can I expect as a result of the court date?

Just Blue

I'm 17 and reside in Ohio. I was home alone on a cold winter day (10 degrees though it does not justify my actions) and had work. I took a chance and drove myself to my job and was pulled over for a non function license plate light. Of course the vehicle was towed and I currently have a court date. I have no prior encounters will law enforcement. What can I expect as a result of the court date?
At least you will have your license revoked.

quincy

You could expect to have to drive with a parent.

Have you held your license for 12 months? Were you carrying work papers from your employer? Were you driving between midnight/one am and 5/6 am?

Your license should not be suspended for a single violation.

Here is a link to the law in Ohio: http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/dl-gdl.aspx

Last edited:

FlyingRon

I think the poster only had a temporary permit and not the probationary license. He's required to have an adult in the car no matter what.
The BMV site is a little loopy in regards to that, you need to look at the statute.

Last edited:

quincy

I think the poster only had a temporary permit and not the probationary license. He's required to have an adult in the car no matter what.
The BMV site is a little loopy in regards to that, you need to look at the statute.
I am not seeing where the driver must have a parent/guardian in the car "no matter what." :confused:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am not seeing where the driver must have a parent/guardian in the car "no matter what." :confused:

http://publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/hsy7607.pdf

All applicants must pass a vision test and a knowledge test to obtain a temporary instruction permit identification card (TIPIC). Applicants under 16 years of age must practice driving with a licensed parent or legal guardian that occupies the seat next to them. If 16 years of age or older, they may practice driving with a licensed driver 21 years of age or older occupying the seat next to them.

So it doesn't have to be a parent/guardian for our OP, but it does need to be a licensed driver over the age of 20.

quincy

http://publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/hsy7607.pdf

All applicants must pass a vision test and a knowledge test to obtain a temporary instruction permit identification card (TIPIC). Applicants under 16 years of age must practice driving with a licensed parent or legal guardian that occupies the seat next to them. If 16 years of age or older, they may practice driving with a licensed driver 21 years of age or older occupying the seat next to them.

So it doesn't have to be a parent/guardian for our OP, but it does need to be a licensed driver over the age of 20.
Okay. I didn't read the information in the link I provided very carefully, I guess. :)

Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Okay. I didn't read the information in the link I provided very carefully, I guess. :)

Thanks.
In all fairness, the information wasn't actually on the page you cited. It refers to the TIPIC, but doesn't give much (any) information about it beyond saying it's required. I actually had to poke around a bit before I ran across that PDF. IMO, Ohio could/should make it a bit easier to find the information.

quincy

In all fairness, the information wasn't actually on the page you cited. It refers to the TIPIC, but doesn't give much (any) information about it beyond saying it's required. I actually had to poke around a bit before I ran across that PDF. IMO, Ohio could/should make it a bit easier to find the information.
I like your fairness. :)

Even so, I now have more coffee in front of me to refuel my brain so I don't inadvertently post any additional misinformation. I appreciate the correction by you and FlyingRon.

Here is a link to ORC 4510.31: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4510.31

It appears the court can allow limited driving privileges under circumstances such as those described (so, with his single violation, downonmyluc could/should still be able to drive to work).

Last edited:

FlyingRon

I shouldn't have said parent/guardian. I knew better. Since he's over 16, as Zig puts it any licensed adult over 20 will work.

You can't get a work exemption on a temporary. The section you posted is a nonsequitor. This covers a limited restoration of driving privileges lost due to a suspension.

quincy

I shouldn't have said parent/guardian. I knew better. Since he's over 16, as Zig puts it any licensed adult over 20 will work.

You can't get a work exemption on a temporary. The section you posted is a nonsequitor. This covers a limited restoration of driving privileges lost due to a suspension.

Okay. I am now going to slowly back away from this thread. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">