• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Runaway law in wa state...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DanE

When is it legal for the sherriffs office to unreport a runaway, who hasnt actually returned home. Thank you😁

quincy

When is it legal for the sherriffs office to unreport a runaway, who hasnt actually returned home. Thank you😁
What do you mean by "unreport" a runaway?

How old is the runaway?

Who are you in all of this?

More details, please. :)

DanE

Runaway

Im her dad shes been gone for a few weeks. I ' d like to know the RCW law thats written about runaways.

DanE

Runaway

Just like you call 911 and make report that child has ranaway. Parent is suppose to call back and unreport child when or if child returns home. She runsaway because she didnt get her way....

CdwJava

The runaway child will remain in the system as a Missing Person until she is removed by law enforcement. In theory, she will remain in there forever.

If she returns home, notify law enforcement. They will either take your word for it and remove her from the system, or, they will have an officer respond to verify it. Practices and policies vary by agency.

quincy

Just like you call 911 and make report that child has ranaway. Parent is suppose to call back and unreport child when or if child returns home. She runsaway because she didnt get her way....
First, thank you for answering my questions - but I am still a bit confused by what you write. Clarification would help.

Has the sheriffs department "unreported" your daughter as a runaway, or has someone else or have you unreported her?

Does your daughter live with you full time or does she live elsewhere also, perhaps with another parent?

Last edited:

DanE

Runaway in wa state

Thanks quincy. Your links very helpful. Im the custodial parent and affraid for my daughter not making smart decisions.... the info is helpful. Blees u

DanE

Runaway in wa state

Shes to b with me 5 out of 7 days and she refuses to return home to me. I dont know where her nor her mother lives

quincy

Shes to b with me 5 out of 7 days and she refuses to return home to me. I dont know where her nor her mother lives
Do you think your daughter is with her mother?

Do you think her mother might have reported to the sheriffs department that your daughter is safe, so the missing child report has been "unreported" or closed, or could the State be housing her temporarily? Or does the sheriffs department still have your daughter listed as missing?

Have you had any contact with her at all since she ran away?

Do you fear she might be in danger?

CdwJava

Keep in mind that if the child is with another parent - even if in violation of a visitation order - the child is not generally going to still be "missing." There may be another issue involved, but the child would not be missing any longer.

quincy

IF the mother contacted the sheriffs department to say that Dan's daughter was with her, the daughter would not be considered missing any more.

If the mother failed to return the child to DanE according to a court-ordered visitation schedule, however, DanE could seek his daughter's return through the court.

Of course, this is assuming the daughter is with the mom.

DanE, why don't you know where your daughter's mom lives? The court has that information, correct?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">