• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Start of Emancipation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steph.rose04

Hello! So i am of 16 years of age and i am currently not living with either of my parents, my mother has custody over me and has left me to live with someone i'm close to, and I do not want to have any legal relations with my parents anymore with the fact I know i have suffered verbal, mental, and major physical abuse. My "current" guardian, who i am living with without guardianship, is helping me grow and become more strong. And as days go by, i am wanting to emancipate myself and i need help as to if i am eligible, and if so, what do i need to do? What papers do i need and what is needed to be said?

steph.rose04

Start of Emancipation 2

I would also like to add that i have been living without my mother, who has custody, for 7 months now. Additionally, i am in a place where i do have more than enough food, shelter, and in a very comfortable environment. And i am willing to do whatever it takes to better myself.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Hello! So i am of 16 years of age and i am currently not living with either of my parents, my mother has custody over me and has left me to live with someone i'm close to, and I do not want to have any legal relations with my parents anymore with the fact I know i have suffered verbal, mental, and major physical abuse. My "current" guardian, who i am living with without guardianship, is helping me grow and become more strong. And as days go by, i am wanting to emancipate myself and i need help as to if i am eligible, and if so, what do i need to do? What papers do i need and what is needed to be said?
Which US state?

Your guardian appears to be supporting you. If this is the case, you will not qualify for emancipation in any US state.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I have no guardian. There is no guardianship nor papers. I am living on my own, without any of my parents.
There doesn't have to be a formal guardianship in place.

Your posts clearly tell us that you're living with someone else who is providing for you.

If that's not what you mean, then please include the relevant details.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Two questions:

Who is this "current guardian"?

Why do you think that you won't have any "legal relations" with your parents if you are emancipated? (They're still your parents.)

quincy

I think this pretty much shuts down the OP's attempt at an emancipation.
The questions you and CTU asked still need to be answered by steph.rose04 to determine this better, though.

Because there is no mention by steph.rose of having a job (or other source of income) - necessary to be self-supporting - emancipation seems unlikely.

A change in legal guardianship might be possible, though, depending on facts.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Here are some questions for Steph:

For the last, say, six months, who paid:

1.) The rent on the place you are living
2.) The utility bills for the place you are living
3.) Let's call it 75% of the cost for food you ate
4.) For the clothes you have been wearing
5.) For any medical care you needed
6.) For your transportation

If the answer to all of the above is anyone but "Me. I paid the full amount" then you don't qualify to be emancipated. There may be other options, but emancipation will not be one of them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">