• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

after a fire destroyed all property and dwelling where i lived,do i have any rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Richard Smith

Connecticut-i was recently displaced and lost everything i own when a fire that occurred while i was not at home.the investigator ruled nothing suspicious though i could speak of things that I know were clear potentials.ultimately it is the difficult and honest conclusion reached by the marshal who can only follow where the evidence goes.
my question is i learned the woman i was building a life with had never updated the lease and though mail was delivered to me from state,government,utility etc for the year and a half i lived there.my now Ex girlfriend ,landlord ,the Marshall that saw my personal items i would assume,have said i need a piece of mail from the apartment 4 months or older to prove i resided there?! I was told also Only that would counter my ex's and landlords claim i was visiting.when i asked if i had this would the things especially items of great value just purchased a month or 2 prior (my deceased sons photos,only remaining videos of birthdays and similar events,graduation robe and diplomas as well as academic awards and personal items priceless to me i understand cant be replaced.but if i was visiting why bring all my belongings ,obviously other property was lost that I brought when i moved in a year and a half prior were lost.)the recently purchased items i also paid for whatever store or companys insurance could be bought..not one covered fire,and again those individuals said the landlords insurance only paid his repairs everyone's elses loss was loss..however i am in no contact with anyone from the apartment i don't know where they moved or were moved,my ex changed her number i do not know where she resides.and no one i ask knows the answer to my question of i lost everything and all the various insurances even the landlords cover nothing for me I have the clothes on my back period..?please tell me what im entitled to or can even try to have a court decide...i have lost everything.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Generally, the landlord's insurance covers the landlord's property, not the tenant's.

I take it you didn't have renter's insurance?

Richard Smith

Generally, the landlord's insurance covers the landlord's property, not the tenant's.

I take it you didn't have renter's insurance?
no I didnt,I had each item insured though.i replaced a very expensive guitar that i let go to cover the cost of burying my son.so when i bought what I went without for 3 years i took the insurance and when i bought a brand new note 8 unlocked insurance,65" tv insurance,Marshall half stack amplifier and insurance,alienware laptop custom tailored for graphic applications like 3d studio max and insurance..etc. and each insurance company tried to first deny me by not having the obvious proof destroyed in fire,after one goes to a supervisor and the purchase with a bank card is mentioned they start helping ,however gosh darn it the insurance covers everything but flood fires and acts of nature(god) they tell me its the landlords responsibility.ive had renters insurance in the past and the ceiling in that place collapsed from a water leak and the renters insurance said the usual "im so sorry to hear that you had to go through that.i want to help you and so ill tell you what you need to do .you need to get a hold of your landlord and get him to have his insurance replace those items.see had there been a fire or theft you would be talking to the right company but you didnt." i wasted months hours and money just to get what insurance companys give when your resources are limited.im not being sarcastic however i don't get 2 seperate insurance policies for my car as one feels taken advantage of enough when im going to court to make my insurance follow through..when I was let in the apartment to recover items from the room furthest from the fire origin ,the walls were removed to reveal the wiring and it was brown plastic coated (like a cheap extension cord) wire and the big "evidence" sign covering the first hole made to get access to the wiring id assumed there would be justice finally as i had complained the fuse box (which was 1 15 amp trip fuse.read that again and look at your <who ever may be reading> fuse box.we would have to turn one thing off to use another) the fire department has been quick to contain the fire to 2 rooms and the foot was still sturdy .the apartments even on the same floor had only mild smoke damage im sure beneath mine there was water but the building is condemned and set for demolition.
why was the fire marshal so concerned with telling me I had one route to prove my residence,then when i did the surprise in his voice was obvious.then he starts telling me well it doesn't matter you have to take the loss..

i digress..Does anyone know what the law says about proving residence in ct?

adjusterjack

1 - The landlord has no obligation to pay for your belongings, nor does his insurance.

2 - The only one responsible for your belongings is the person who started or caused the fire either negligently or intentionally. If you can find that person and prove culpability, you might have a slight chance of compensation.

3 - I don't know what this insurance is that you bought each time you bought an item but if it turns out to just be an extended warranty then, no, fire is not covered and all you had to do is read the warranty and you would know that.

4 - If you bought any items with a credit card you'll have to read the benefits document about the coverage. My credit card provides up to $500 per item if that item is damaged or stolen within 90 days of purchase, and does cover fire.

5 - If you had renters insurance you probably wouldn't be having this problem.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

didn't you change your drivers license or state ID to that address when you moved in ? ( voting records? were you registered to vote at that address ??? So about the apartment only having 1 15 amp fuse or breaker , Ive seen that sort of thing before in older buildings SO even though its a bit late now does the local code this place is in allow the very old code standard of one 15 amp circuit to cover 500 square feet of living space only reason I ask is because a attorney may be able to tell you the odds of wining a civil suit against this landlord if you can prove the satisfaction of the court that the LL knew the wiring was out of code ( I have seen older buildings with very tiny one bedroom apartments that were just barely under 500 sq ft of living space that still met the old code and ive encountered several apartments that had 600 -700 sq feet of space that some how no one ever complained to housing inspections about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">