• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Apparent shady business dealing by landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

uncwil

Hello. I live in North Carolina and have been renting a house for two years now. My landlord seems polite and friendly, but last year moved across town so now I never see him at all, which is of course fine. However there have been many red flags, and the flag I dug up today has me pretty worried but also very curious.

The first red flag was when my landlord approached me and my girlfriend about a multi-level marketing scheme. I was appalled. I thought this was a successful, decent person, but I then was unsure.

The second flag was last year, when I searched for our house on the county property records. While his name is still listed as the owner of the house next door, where he used to live, our house is now listed as being owned by an LLC. It was sold after we had already been living in it for nearly a year, and I had no idea. Ok, no problem, he has his fingers in many different businesses, I think. Maybe he just transferred the house to one.

Well finally today I did some googling and find that there are dozens of nearly same named LLCs in North Carolina, ten or so right around this area. They all have different agents listed.

Sorry to be long winded. My question is really fairly simple, what is it with all these LLCs? Are they some kind of front company for the multi-level marketing thing? That of course is a little disturbing, but not nearly so much as if he has sold the house to someone else while I still mail him a rent check every month.

Last edited:

Antigone*

Hello. I live in North Carolina and have been renting a house for two years now. My landlord seems polite and friendly, but last year moved across town so now I never see him at all, which is of course fine. However there have been many red flags, and the flag I dug up today has me pretty worried but also very curious.

The first red flag was when my landlord approached me and my girlfriend about a multi-level marketing scheme. I was appalled. I thought this was a successful, decent person, but I then was unsure.

The second flag was last year, when I searched for our house on the county property records. While his name is still listed as the owner of the house next door, where he used to live, our house is now listed as being owned by AJA Properties, LLC. It was sold after we had already been living in it for nearly a year, and I had no idea. Ok, no problem, he has his fingers in many different businesses, I think. Maybe he just transferred the house to one.

Well finally today I did some googling and find that there are dozens of AJA type LLCs in North Carolina, ten or so right around this area. AJA Properties, AJA Holdings, AJA Interests, AJA this and that on and on. Then I find one with his ex wife listed as the primary agent. Very strange no?

Sorry to be long winded. My question is really fairly simple, what is it with all these AJA LLCs? Are they some kind of front company for the multi-level marketing thing? That of course is a little disturbing, but not nearly so much as if he has sold the house to someone else while I still mail him a rent check every month.

Thank you for reading.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Nothing for you to worry about. It is common practice to have a separate LLC for each property held.

Searchertwin

The second flag was last year, when I searched for our house on the county property records. While his name is still listed as the owner of the house next door, where he used to live, our house is now listed as being owned by AJA Properties, LLC. It was sold after we had already been living in it for nearly a year, and I had no idea. Ok, no problem, he has his fingers in many different businesses, I think. Maybe he just transferred the house to one.

Well finally today I did some googling and find that there are dozens of AJA type LLCs in North Carolina, ten or so right around this area. AJA Properties, AJA Holdings, AJA Interests, AJA this and that on and on. Then I find one with his ex wife listed as the primary agent. Very strange no?

Sorry to be long winded. My question is really fairly simple, what is it with all these AJA LLCs? Are they some kind of front company for the multi-level marketing thing? That of course is a little disturbing, but not nearly so much as if he has sold the house to someone else while I still mail him a rent check every month.

Thank you for reading.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Really none of your business. It's as if the LL checked out where you work and why you got your title and how. None of his business. If your concern is that the rent should go to someone else, you would have been contacted by now.

mauee20

Nothing to worry about. This is very common for somebody who owns multiple single family homes for rent. It will not harm you at all.

Just say no to the MLM...people fall for that stuff and looks like the landlord did too.

Keep paying your rent.;)

xylene

Check your flags...

He's a successful entrepreneur and businessman who manages his many properties through incorporation to protect his assets.

You're a tenant in a rented house.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I didn't say it was illegal, I said it was unethical to try to get your tenants involved.
It's not unethical in the least.

Look, you already do business with the guy. He was simply attempting to open up another avenue of business with you. Nothing you posted suggests that he attempted to use his position as your LL to influence your decisions at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">