• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bad wiring damaged my air cleaner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tstafford

What is the name of your state? Missouri. I moved in in july. I have allergies and have to use an air cleaner. We plugged it in and it ran for a couple of minutes and then went off. My mom brought me hers to borrow. in the meantime it got hot so we turned on the air conditioner...plugged into the same normal looking outlet. the compressor wouldn't stay on. When they came to check it it was discovered that it was wired 220 but looked like a normal 110 plug. I wrote a letter and put with this month's rent payment asking that they pay for me a new air cleaner and they are refusing. They feel they were not responsible for the outlet and tell me the air conditioner worked fine before I moved in. I said if it worked fine then why did you replace it with a 200 air conditioner and change the outlet? So what do I do? Who's responsible for the air cleaner? anyone know any Missouri law I can quote. I mean 300 bucks isn't enough to hire an attorney over.

HomeGuru

tstafford said:
What is the name of your state? Missouri. I moved in in july. I have allergies and have to use an air cleaner. We plugged it in and it ran for a couple of minutes and then went off. My mom brought me hers to borrow. in the meantime it got hot so we turned on the air conditioner...plugged into the same normal looking outlet. the compressor wouldn't stay on. When they came to check it it was discovered that it was wired 220 but looked like a normal 110 plug. I wrote a letter and put with this month's rent payment asking that they pay for me a new air cleaner and they are refusing. They feel they were not responsible for the outlet and tell me the air conditioner worked fine before I moved in. I said if it worked fine then why did you replace it with a 200 air conditioner and change the outlet? So what do I do? Who's responsible for the air cleaner? anyone know any Missouri law I can quote. I mean 300 bucks isn't enough to hire an attorney over.
**A: I do not understand why the outlet was changed.

T

tstafford

???

I have no idea why the plug was wrong. it looked like a normal 110 plug but it had 220 going to it. and the landlord is saying they won't pay for my broken air cleaner.

FarmerJ

DO your self a favor call your city inspections unit and ask them to take a look at it with a electrical tester . They will make your LL change it most likely . and they can provide you with a copy of any work order they issue . Dont forget to keep a copy of the letter should you decide to make a claim in small claims court against the LL you would have it to help convince a judge that its improper wiring caused your loss .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">