• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bait and Switch, Deck/No Deck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mzbhavn

A new townhome community is being built where I live. I was shown an incomplete unit (with a deck) in December and told it would be ready in 2 months. She said "they all come with decks". The Landlord’s agent called in February to say the unit was ready. I signed the lease picked up the keys and went to view it. There was no deck on the back. There was nothing. The back door lead to a 3-foot drop. They said the 'deck' would be completed the day before my lease took effect. Well there is still no deck. Just a small wooden landing and a set of stairs leading to a 2x6 concrete platform. The unit I viewed is still empty. 3 of the 5 units have decks. Do I have any recourse? VIRGINIA

L

LL

Why did you sign the lease and then pick up the keys and go to view it?

What does the lease say? Doesn't it have a description of the rented premises? Including the unit number?

Try to see if the management will let you into the unit that you viewed. If you accept the keys and move in, it will probably be deemed to be an acceptance of the circumstances, so you need to get this settled before you move it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">