• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

C02 Poisioning

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Scrappet

What is the name of your state? Ohio

On 10/05/04 the furnace company came and lit the pilot on the furnace.

They turned on the furnace on 10/05/04 and slept through the night with no problem. J got up and turned it up a few degrees and left the house at 7:00 AM. At 9:00 he got a hysterical phone call from M stating they were disoriented, nauseous, legs felt like “jello” and the kids (ages 1,3) were both crying. She was very disoriented in her speech and did not understand what was going on. She also called her mother, who told her to open a window, but M was physically unable to do this.

By the time she arrived the ambulance and fire department had arrived. The levels of CO2 in the house were above 360, referred to as “deadly levels” by a fireman on the news.

M was transported to one Hospital by ambulance, the kids were transported to Childrens by ambulance (M's mother went with the children). All were treated for CO2 poisoning and released from the hospital on the same day.

The realty company agreed to put them up in Homewood Suites for 2 nights and give them a $200.00 food allowance. The Homewood Suites they reserved for them was supposed to be in one city, but was in another because of a reservation mistake, which would be too far for them to travel. The realty company also made mention that the vent in the house was blocked by furniture (a plastic shelf with no backing). They were trying to lay responsibility on the tenants. I explained to them that there tenants were 19 years old and that the realty company had a responsibility to explain not to block the vent.

They also offered to rent them a different apartment. Their previous rent was $300.00 and the new rent is $475.00. They do like the new apartment. J and M agreed to this (no signed contract at this point). After the mistake with the reservations I called the realty company and suggested that the kids stay with me for a couple of days and that the realty company take the $139.00 per night that they were going to spend on the suite and apply it towards their November rent, which they agreed to. The room w/tax would have been $314.14. They aren’t going to charge them any more of a deposit. M paid the October rent while we were there with a $35.00 late fee. Making rent due again in November, which should amount to $160.86.

The new apartment was newly vacated, the realty company said it would have to be painted and a few repairs made. We went and looked at the apartment and J and M said they liked the current paint and wanted the cabinet repaired, the light switch covers replaced, the carpet cleaned and general cleaning. They also expressed that they wanted the dead bolt repaired, it is off center. They also request a CO2 detector which the company agreed to install. Otherwise they were ready to move in. The realty company said they would write up a lease and get the repairs/cleaning done ASAP and then they could move in.

The Heating and Air was dispatched again on 10/06/04 and stated that the ventilation on the furnace was not adequate, it had been enclosed by a closet and they only had a floor vent. They have made repairs to the house, and are waiting for a vented door for the closet. They installed a vent in the floor (to the best of my knowledge). They worked until after 6:00 in the evening. I can’t help but wonder why they didn’t notice this the day before when they were there to light the pilot.

If the kids had not have woken up screaming then Mwould have slept right through this incident and could have died. Is the reaction of the realty company adequate?

HomeGuru

Scrappet said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

On 10/05/04 the furnace company came and lit the pilot on the furnace.

They turned on the furnace on 10/05/04 and slept through the night with no problem. J got up and turned it up a few degrees and left the house at 7:00 AM. At 9:00 he got a hysterical phone call from M stating they were disoriented, nauseous, legs felt like “jello” and the kids (ages 1,3) were both crying. She was very disoriented in her speech and did not understand what was going on. She also called her mother, who told her to open a window, but M was physically unable to do this.

By the time she arrived the ambulance and fire department had arrived. The levels of CO2 in the house were above 360, referred to as “deadly levels” by a fireman on the news.

M was transported to one Hospital by ambulance, the kids were transported to Childrens by ambulance (M's mother went with the children). All were treated for CO2 poisoning and released from the hospital on the same day.

The realty company agreed to put them up in Homewood Suites for 2 nights and give them a $200.00 food allowance. The Homewood Suites they reserved for them was supposed to be in one city, but was in another because of a reservation mistake, which would be too far for them to travel. The realty company also made mention that the vent in the house was blocked by furniture (a plastic shelf with no backing). They were trying to lay responsibility on the tenants. I explained to them that there tenants were 19 years old and that the realty company had a responsibility to explain not to block the vent.

They also offered to rent them a different apartment. Their previous rent was $300.00 and the new rent is $475.00. They do like the new apartment. J and M agreed to this (no signed contract at this point). After the mistake with the reservations I called the realty company and suggested that the kids stay with me for a couple of days and that the realty company take the $139.00 per night that they were going to spend on the suite and apply it towards their November rent, which they agreed to. The room w/tax would have been $314.14. They aren’t going to charge them any more of a deposit. M paid the October rent while we were there with a $35.00 late fee. Making rent due again in November, which should amount to $160.86.

The new apartment was newly vacated, the realty company said it would have to be painted and a few repairs made. We went and looked at the apartment and J and M said they liked the current paint and wanted the cabinet repaired, the light switch covers replaced, the carpet cleaned and general cleaning. They also expressed that they wanted the dead bolt repaired, it is off center. They also request a CO2 detector which the company agreed to install. Otherwise they were ready to move in. The realty company said they would write up a lease and get the repairs/cleaning done ASAP and then they could move in.

The Heating and Air was dispatched again on 10/06/04 and stated that the ventilation on the furnace was not adequate, it had been enclosed by a closet and they only had a floor vent. They have made repairs to the house, and are waiting for a vented door for the closet. They installed a vent in the floor (to the best of my knowledge). They worked until after 6:00 in the evening. I can’t help but wonder why they didn’t notice this the day before when they were there to light the pilot.

If the kids had not have woken up screaming then Mwould have slept right through this incident and could have died. Is the reaction of the realty company adequate?
**A: and who are you in this situation? Who are "they" and "M"? You use "they" for 3 separate parties. Read your post again and clarify.

S

Scrappet

They are my son, his girlfriend and her two daughters. I tried to take their names and specific locations out of the post.

R

rabbar

CO2 is the fizz in a can of soda, carbon dioxide

It's not poisonous

Sounds more like CO, carbon monoxide

If you are looking for some money out of this unfortunate incident go talk to an accident/injury lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">