• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue and press charges on my landlord? He broke the law more than once!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Edgarneal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

So I’ve lived in a apartment for 4-5 months, I’ve always paid my rent, and my manager slowly started to harass me... rent is due by the 5th of every month, and this month I had most of the money by the fifth, but was going to work the next day to get the rest of the money and would just pay the late fee, well my ride stayed the night the night before work, when we woke up in the morning, he went to get his car, and it was gone, we called the tow yard and they said the manager had it towed as an abandoned vehicle, it was there for 5 hours and he knew exactly who’s car it was.. well sense my rides car was gone we were both unable to make it to work and lost the jobs, so I was unable to pay the rent and tried calling him but he didn’t answer so we had left messages to have it call back, the next day he put a 48 hour pay or vacate notice on my door, but I have not been able to work sense he had my car illegally towed,

2 days later in the morning around 8-9. Me and my girl friend were having sex in my bedroom, we then hear our front door open, both lockes were locked I mind you, my door was open and all of a sudden I see my manager at my door he looked and seen me and my girl friend naked and then turned around and walked to the front room, it was my manager and one of his workers, then he started yelling time to get out come on get out, i then told my girl firnd to start recording on her phone immediately,

I then proceeded to tel him how illegal it was for him to unlock my door in come in to my house and that I couldn’t believe he did that, and then my girl friend called the cops, and he also when we tried to close the door put his foot in the way and wouldn’t let us, when the cops showed up he started lying about the reason he had the car towed, and I told the cops how he walked in my house and my girl friend also stated that she was seen naked and the officer said I’m sorry I had to go through that but one of the officers were being real dicks and would barley listen to us, so when I told them I wanted to press charges the cops said there was no way the DEA would touch this case with I think is just bull **** and totally unprofessional and I’m really angers, I need to know where to go from here, my girl firnd has trouble even getting undressed in my house anymore what can I do please help!

Last edited:

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

So I’ve lived in a apartment for 4-5 months, I’ve always paid my rent, and my manager slowly started to harass me... rent is due by the 5th of every month, and this month I had most of the money by the fifth, but was going to work the next day to get the rest of the money and would just pay the late fee, well my ride stayed the night the night before work, when we woke up in the morning, he went to get his car, and it was gone, we called the tow yard and they said the manager had it towed as an abandoned vehicle, it was there for 5 hours and he knew exactly who’s car it was.. well sense my rides car was gone we were both unable to make it to work and lost the jobs, so I was unable to pay the rent and tried calling him but he didn’t answer so we had left messages to have it call back, the next day he put a 48 hour pay or vacate notice on my door, but I have not been able to work sense he had my car illegally towed,

2 days later in the morning around 8-9. Me and my girl friend were having sex in my bedroom, we then hear our front door open, both lockes were locked I mind you, my door was open and all of a sudden I see my manager at my door he looked and seen me and my girl friend naked and then turned around and walked to the front room, it was my manager and one of his workers, then he started yelling time to get out come on get out, i then told my girl firnd to start recording on her phone immediately,

I then proceeded to tel him how illegal it was for him to unlock my door in come in to my house and that I couldn’t believe he did that, and then my girl friend called the cops, and he also when we tried to close the door put his foot in the way and wouldn’t let us, when the cops showed up he started lying about the reason he had the car towed, and I told the cops how he walked in my house and my girl friend also stated that she was seen naked and the officer said I’m sorry I had to go through that but one of the officers were being real dicks and would barley listen to us, so when I told them I wanted to press charges the cops said there was no way the DEA would touch this case with I think is just bull **** and totally unprofessional and I’m really angers, I need to know where to go from here, my girl firnd has trouble even getting undressed in my house anymore what can I do please help!
Did your teachers never teach you about a period (.) ?...plus some white space for ease of reading.

FarmerJ

First regarding the car and it being towed , you want to know if your city or county has any ordinances that spell out all the rules regarding vehicles being towed from rental properties , such as if your city required signs to be posted saying who would tow, and that it was a tow away zone. SO if your city -local govt has no ordinances addressing towing from rental property then your next thing would be to carefully review your lease if you have a written lease. If your lease is silent as to so called parking rules then feel free to sue the LL for the towing fee and let the court decide, If the towing company towed the vehicle in violation of a local law then feel free to sue them. As to the LL if the LL enters again with zero notice to you call the police and report that the LL is there , let him self in with zero notice to you and refuses to leave after being told to leave.

Edgarneal

Did your teachers never teach you about a period (.) ?...plus some white space for ease of reading.
Thank you for cleaning that up for me! Yeah I’m sorry I kinda mashed that all together. I’m pretty upset about this so when I write about it I get angry. Thank you again.

Edgarneal

First regarding the car and it being towed , you want to know if your city or county has any ordinances that spell out all the rules regarding vehicles being towed from rental properties , such as if your city required signs to be posted saying who would tow, and that it was a tow away zone. SO if your city -local govt has no ordinances addressing towing from rental property then your next thing would be to carefully review your lease if you have a written lease. If your lease is silent as to so called parking rules then feel free to sue the LL for the towing fee and let the court decide, If the towing company towed the vehicle in violation of a local law then feel free to sue them. As to the LL if the LL enters again with zero notice to you call the police and report that the LL is there , let him self in with zero notice to you and refuses to leave after being told to leave.
Yeah, he also tried to bribe me saying if we got out he would give me the money to get the car out of impound, he said this in front of the officers to. I did call the cops on him and like I said one of the officers was being very rude and said the DEA wouldn’t touch this case, witch I know is a load of bull. I live In Vancouver Washington, the cops here have a reputation for not upholding the law, I need to know what I should do next, I have no vehicle, and I want to press charges for him walking in my house and seeing my girlfriend and me naked, does anyone know what I should do? Or any lawyers I can call? Any help is appreciated!

Just Blue

Yeah, he also tried to bribe me saying if we got out he would give me the money to get the car out of impound, he said this in front of the officers to. I did call the cops on him and like I said one of the officers was being very rude and said the DEA wouldn’t touch this case, witch I know is a load of bull. I live In Vancouver Washington, the cops here have a reputation for not upholding the law, I need to know what I should do next, I have no vehicle, and I want to press charges for him walking in my house and seeing my girlfriend and me naked, does anyone know what I should do? Or any lawyers I can call? Any help is appreciated!
While incredibly upsetting...this is not a criminal matter. It's civil. Sue the jerk. I strongly suggest you consult with an attorney.

Gail in Georgia

I have to be honest here; I can picture the judge asking why the OP and his girlfriend were making "whoopee" when, quite frankly, he should be out WALKING around looking for a job so he can pay his rent.

It's now the 17th of the month. It would appear the handwriting is on the wall on this one. Forget about suing anyone Edgar and focus on paying the rent and late fees or you and your girlfriend will have lots of time to have sex out in the park/bushes/whatever once the eviction takes place.

Gail

Just Blue

I have to be honest here; I can picture the judge asking why the OP and his girlfriend were making "whoopee" when, quite frankly, he should be out WALKING around looking for a job so he can pay his rent.

It's now the 17th of the month. It would appear the handwriting is on the wall on this one. Forget about suing anyone Edgar and focus on paying the rent and late fees or you and your girlfriend will have lots of time to have sex out in the park/bushes/whatever once the eviction takes place.

Gail
Don't disagree.

But OP should still consult with an attorney.

Edgarneal

Gail
Well you see I did offer him money, the officer even said that we are in front of each other why couldn’t the manager just let me come up with the rent money, the manager then said he wouldn’t accept any money from me and got in his car and left, so he did it to him self. I don’t understand how you think there is no case here, he clearly violated my rights as a renter and broke the law, who cares if I was making love to my girlfriend in the morning, I’m an adult and human, with no means of transportation and no job, and the manager saying he wouldn’t accept money, what could I have done. If you were in this situation I don’t see how u wouldn’t be upset about this. It was clearly illegal and I’m not letting him get away with it.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
*sigh*

Put the money you owe in rent aside, and make sure not to spend it.

Make every attempt to document that you've attempted to pay your rent.

Look in your lease/refer to LL's posted policies about towing.

I am not sure why you think the DEA (Drug Enforcement Agency) has anything to do with this. Perhaps you mean DA.

While embarrassing, your LL walking in unannounced is not a criminal offence. By the way, was there a reason stated for the entry, such as actual maintenance? Again, refer to your lease and local law to determine if there is a certain amount of notice required for such an entry in a *nonemergency* situation.

It is unclear how you responded to the "48 hour pay or vacate notice". Usually it's a "Three Day Notice" to pay or quit before eviction proceedings start. And "48 hour notice to enter." Are you sure that you are reading clearly?

Edgarneal

*sigh*

Put the money you owe in rent aside, and make sure not to spend it.

Make every attempt to document that you've attempted to pay your rent.

Look in your lease/refer to LL's posted policies about towing.

I am not sure why you think the DEA (Drug Enforcement Agency) has anything to do with this. Perhaps you mean DA.

While embarrassing, your LL walking in unannounced is not a criminal offence. By the way, was there a reason stated for the entry, such as actual maintenance? Again, refer to your lease and local law to determine if there is a certain amount of notice required for such an entry in a *nonemergency* situation.

It is unclear how you responded to the "48 hour pay or vacate notice". Usually it's a "Three Day Notice" to pay or quit before eviction proceedings start. And "48 hour notice to enter." Are you sure that you are reading clearly?

It’s was definitely a pay or vacate notice, not a 48 to enter the home, or maintenance, he just walked in and started telling me to get out. I did keep the money, and when they were here it was offered but he was to embarrassed after the officer caught him lying about why he had the car towed that he said he wasn’t accepting any payments and left..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">