• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family visiting from out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lori45

What is the name of your state? NY. The apartment I will moving into onSept 1st, in the lease it states any guests that will be staying for more than 7 days I need to get written permission from the owner, I have family coming for Christmas, 1500 miles away, they will be staying more than 7 days, the owner has already agreed to it, we have been having some problems with him lately and I told him I want it in writing they can stay, he is telling me he needs their license plate number for insurance and emergency reasons, I stated to him that myself as well as my family will just park on the street then, it wasnt stated in the lease I had to give him that info as well as their names and when exactly they would be coming and leaving. He stated under new york law the clause in the lease regarding guests would be held up by any court, and states that any court would agree that it is reasonable for the landlord to require this info. as he keeps saying it is in the lease. It only says in the lease more than 7 days needs written permission, nothing saying he would need all this other info. This is my family coming to visit for the holidays.

Alaska landlord

And what makes you think that he has no right to know who is staying on his property? The license plate issue he can easily take care of himself by walking over to their vehicle and jotting down the information. But, I can see why you have been having issues with him lately. It seems funny that even after he has given your family extra days you still find a reason to antagonize him. I charge 50.00 dollars per day for guest staying over 10 days. :rolleyes:

Lori45

Family visiting

No offense, but the issues I have been having with this owner has to do with the lease that started on Aug1st but still isnt ready to move in, we have the keys but cant really move anything in yet, and also the place has fleas from former tenant. We wanted out of the lease but he wont let us without keeping our deposit and charging us 2 months rent. Its a longer story but the lease is the major issue.

I require the same info when a guest will be overstaying the visitation rule. I have a form that they need to fill out and submit at least 48 hours prior to this stay. It asks arrival and departure dates. The form asks for all of their personal info and their license plate numbers too. This is for each adult staying at the property. LLs have the right to know who is staying in the unit, and in case of an emergency, we may need this info to give to the appropriate authorities (fire dept, police, city tow trucks, etc.). If these are just family coming for the holidays, what is the big deal?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">