• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend kicked husband to curb, wants to transfer lease to another apt.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ahutchGA

What is the name of your state? GA

My friend recently found out her husband of 6 years was cheating on her in her apt. She is staying with her parents now and does not plan to return to the apt. except to pack. Sept. rent has already been paid up. I think it's a 9-month lease. It's up in March.

She and her husband have agreed to a legal separation and plan to see a family lawyer about specific matters.

She really likes the area of town where the apts. are (gated community and close to work) and would like to stay in that part of the city.

Would it be possible for her to transfer her lease terms, etc., to another (smaller) unit in her complex?

My friend knows it's not the apt. complex's fault that the couple is splitting up, but she would really like the lease transfer. That way, she gets out of the bad-memory apt., and the complex keeps a tenant (just in another unit).

Her estranged husband does not have the funds to live on his own, so he will be leaving the apt. communtiy and moving in with his mother.

Are her plans do-able? If not, what are her options?
Thanks!

A

ahutchGA

Thanks FarmerJ, Update...

Hey! My friend talked to her LL today. She is allowed to transfer to a smaller unit in her apt. complex, or a smaller unit in any other property owned by the management company (there are tons of properties in our part of GA).

She has to give 30 days notice, pay 1 mo. rent, and pay a $300 fee. But I think the guy's being pretty reasonable to her.

She's going to see what works best in her new financial circumstances, and go apartment looking this weekend.

Thanks for your help!
:)

HomeGuru

Halket said:
ANOTHER satisfied customer!!!

**A: Yippee!!!!!
And it was all attributed to plain old common sense.
No long confusing state statutes, case laws and legalese crap to read.

JETX

Incredible the fount of information and available resources when someone just takes the little effort of asking!!

A

ahutchGA

Seriously...

You guys have really helped a lot. You all helped me 3 years ago getting my family out of a crappy apt. into a good one (since the latest management co. didn't make us sign new lease); and now you're indirectly helping my friend.

This is a really tough time for her. She never saw this coming (no pun intended, believe me!) and I'm glad I'm able to post general ?? about her situation and get some answers.

So yes, I'm DEFINITELY a satisfied customer. And I've passed on your link to my friend, and others.

Thanks!
:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">