• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gave notice via cert. mail now I received a 30 notice - question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LouisB

California.

Let's say I'm not liking my landlords behavior. I can probably get him in a lot of trouble for his actions. But I want to move out peacefully, yet since being yelled at a week ago
he seems to be retaliating.

Here's my question: I gave notice to move out by August 1st, via certified mail. I see online that they received my letter on the 29th of June. I didn't get word from them but by
the Post Office website. Today on my door is a 30 day notice of Termination.

Is this the proper chain of events, or are they acting like they are initiating an eviction to put me in a difficult place with my tenant reputation?

Thanks,
Louis B.

justalayman

Are you in a month to month tenancy such that you could give a 30 day notice to terminate your tenancy?

As long as each could legally terminate the tenancy it would appear there is a mutual agreement that the tenancy come to an end.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sounds to me like the LL wants to make SURE you leave and don't change your mind.

How long have you lived there?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">