• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting Back My Deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mjace

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NYC

On June 1st 2017 I rented a room from 2 women who were on the lease. On January 4th 2018 I gave them notice that I would be moving out on Feb. 1st. They told me that I would have to wait until they had a new roommate so that I could get my deposit back. It is now March 8th, 2 months after I have moved, and they dodge my text messages. Last message I received said that they still hadn't secured a new roommate and that when they do, that I would get my money back. I don't see how I have to wait 2 months or possibly more to get my deposit back. I feel like they used my deposit to party instead of saving it and now don't want to pay. All we had was a verbal agreement and the text message they sent me as proof they are holding my money hostage. Do I have enough to take them to small claims court for my deposit?

PayrollHRGuy

It will have to be enough since that is what you have. At least it proves you paid something.

Your only other problem would be to prove it was, in fact, a deposit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">