• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Heat Damage to Wine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pobrian1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I have a question regarding heat damage to our wine collection. We have an apartment that we do not live in, and only visit occasionally. We do not have renters insurance for the apartment. Recently, when we were not at the apartment over a 3 week period, the building’s heat malfunctioned and (even though our thermostat was set to “off”), the heat in the apartment went to nearly 90 degrees. As a result, a couple thousand dollars worth of wine we have there has been “cooked” and ruined. Because the heat failure was a maintenance issue, do we have any recourse for the value of the wine?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I have a question regarding heat damage to our wine collection. We have an apartment that we do not live in, and only visit occasionally. We do not have renters insurance for the apartment. Recently, when we were not at the apartment over a 3 week period, the building’s heat malfunctioned and (even though our thermostat was set to “off”), the heat in the apartment went to nearly 90 degrees. As a result, a couple thousand dollars worth of wine we have there has been “cooked” and ruined. Because the heat failure was a maintenance issue, do we have any recourse for the value of the wine?

You should have had renter's insurance if you rent this apartment. If you don't rent it but own it then you should have had homeowner's insurance. That would have protected your loss of wine.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

If you wanted climate-controlled storage for "a couple thousands dollars worth of wine", then you should rented (or purchased) climate-controlled storage, not an unoccupied apartment. The damage to your wine was caused by your own lack of care. Frankly, absent a special rider, insurance probably wouldn't even cover this.

xylene

You are very fussy about wine for not having renters insurance.

You'll have to PROVE the wine was damaged and that the heat malfunction was negligent.

You are sure to need expert testimony and proof it was even heat exposed.

Just Blue

Count your blessings that you didn't cause frozen/burst pipes from having the heat off.

FlyingRon

Even renters insurance likely wouldn't cover it. I have a specfic rider for my wine collection (much more than a few thousand dollars.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">