• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord wont respond to maintenance request

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rozemyst

What is the name of your state? California

I have lived in the same apartment building for over 10 years. They are now being converted into condos. We were promised 1000.00 dollars plus our 600.00 dollar deposit back if we stayed until the end of the transition period. About a year or so later, they sent us the papers from the court showing that the city council and other authorities okayed the converstion, within the papers it also stated they must pay us a months rent when we move. (which is less than the $1000 orginaly promised). Some months after this, they raised our rent another 40.00 then a month later gave us our 6 month notice to terminate tenanacy. It has been a little over a month since we were given that notice, and we no longer have an onsite manager. The grounds are becoming more and more unsightly, and parking rules are constantly being broken, the parking lot is filling with junk cars that don't run. We have made two requests, in writing, that our toilet and dishwasher be fixed. The dishwasher doesnt work at all. The toilet takes approximatly 4 hours to refil after flushing, and quite often we must pour a bucket of water into the tank in order to flush the toilet. It has been about 3 weeks since our first request was turned in, our second request was turned in about a week ago, we have gotten no responce to either request. I would venture to say they have no intention of fixing anything. My question is do I have any recourse? Can I withhold rent or a portion there of until they fix these items. :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">