• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal to have former roommate pay part of lease as seperation agreement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joe134

What is the name of your state? VA

My roommate is moving out of the apartment after we just signed a lease because he lost his job. In order to expedite the finding of a new roommate, he advertised his half of the lease at a discount of several hundred dollars and said he's make up the difference. Now, before I agree to the new roommate, I am working out a contract with him so that he will pay me the difference. Is it legal to do this (since he's paying for nothing)? How should the contract be worded?

kornball

I would ensure the subletter pays half. Deal or no deal. It should not have been advertised at a discounted rate, unless that is okay with you. Also LL has to approve the subletting ...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">