• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My rights as far as having guests over

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ashley91715

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NYS

I live in a house with three other roommates who are also on the lease with me. Its a month to month lease. Long story short, my boyfriend is no longer welcome at his parents' house so he had been staying with me for about a week now. My roommates confronted me today saying they are upset and feel disrespected and no longer want him here. What are my rights as far as that? I pay the same amount to live here and i don't see the problem with him being here if he stays in my bedroom if i am not here. They do not ask me if they can have guests over either. My boyfriend said he is willing to pay a portion of the bills so he is not homeless.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

First , does your copy of the written lease address guest /visitor overnight stays as in spelling out how many nights a month is the maximum ? of your lease is silent as to this, then I gotta ask just how many nights in a row have your roommates had overnight guest ? with as many nights as he has been there with you now Id guess that when they have had overnight guest that it has not been this many nights in a row SO yes his being there may well look like to them that you have moved him in permanently, does your lease forbid subletting ? if it does then your having him there could be seen by the landlord as a sublet with out permission and cause the LL to give you all proper notice to move out since your month to month .

adjusterjack

I live in a house with three other roommates who are also on the lease with me. Its a month to month lease. Long story short, my boyfriend is no longer welcome at his parents' house so he had been staying with me for about a week now. My roommates confronted me today saying they are upset and feel disrespected and no longer want him here. What are my rights as far as that? I pay the same amount to live here and i don't see the problem with him being here if he stays in my bedroom if i am not here. They do not ask me if they can have guests over either. My boyfriend said he is willing to pay a portion of the bills so he is not homeless.
You have no rights.

A boyfriend living with you is not a guest. They have no obligation to allow a 5th tenant to live there and you have no right to inflict your boyfriend on them.

You've been paying 1/4 of the rent and expenses.

Now offer to pay 2/5 of the rent and expenses and see how that goes.

Long story short, if your roommates don't agree, your boyfriend leaves.

LdiJ

There is a big difference between having a boyfriend stay over now and then and moving a boyfriend into the house/apartment. Any extra person living there adds costs as far as utilities go, and other issues can be present. Your roommates did not sign up for being a roommate with your boyfriend, they signed up to be a roommate with you.

Either you work out an arrangement with your roommates for your boyfriend to stay (and that arrangement needs to be in line with your lease as well) or your boyfriend needs to find somewhere else to stay.

I certainly would not be excited about having an extra roommate who was no longer welcome in his parent's home.

Gail in Georgia

Your lease likely lists who can reside there.

I'm going to guess that it doesn't include your boyfriend.

Having him live there for over a week because he is otherwise "homeless" is not guest status. You have allowed him to move in with you. Not only is this upsetting to your roommates; your landlord is not likely to be happy about this business either.

Gail

HRZ

Lease aside, and many a lease or share deal does not adaquately address long term friends, ...you are not asking about a friend who spends an occasional night for whatever reason....you are asking about creating a. New tenant or sub tenant relationship ...and to me it makes sense that everyone else is fired up....its,time your friend found alternate residence of his own...

A rough rule of thumb...friends begin to smelll on day 3
.and it's past 3 days .

justalayman

The problem is; unless the lease bars long term guests/sub tenants, the other tenants have no legal leverage to force the guy to leave. A resident of an abode can allow guests/ sub tenants if they so choose and the other tenants have no means to force them to leave.

Then, if the lease does bar long term guests/sub-tenants, it would still be up to the landlord to enforce it. He may just terminate the contract and boot everybody.

The only other possibility that would give the other tenants any legal power here would be if the co-tenants have entered into a co-tenant agreement, if it was written well enough such that the courts could enforce it. That’s unlikely to be the case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">