• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice!!! the house I rent is being condemned (Alabama)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Condemnedrenter

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama (city of Birmingham if it matters(
The house I am renting has a bad roof (which has been covered in tarps for some time), needs paint, etc and the roof does leak through to the inside in one room. I am quite sure there is mold (it has a musty, mold smell in some rooms of the house). My landlord had lowered my rent and did no repairs after several men worked on patching the roof and failed and I accepted this. I am on a fixed income. At any rate, last month the LL received a letter from the City Inspector for this area that the house was going to be condemned if the roof was not repaired and the house painted and I am unsure of what else. I have been aggressively seeking another place to live since and have one good possibility but it is not available until May 1.
I spoke with the Inspector regarding this house and what would happen if they condemn it (how long I have to get out) and he said it could be anywhere from instant to 60 days IF my LL does not make the repairs. At this point, my LL cannot afford to make the repairs and is unable to obtain a loan for the repairs. Also, the Inspector has only accessed from the OUTSIDE, he has NOT been inside.
When I spoke with the Inspector, he said he would likely need to come in and look at the inside towards the end of this month. In one room, some of the ceiling fell, the LL had someone put plywood up (no idea why) and it's leaking pretty heavily around the plywood. How likely do you guys think it is that they will condemn it on the spot if the Inspector comes inside and sees this?
IF it is condemned at once, what do I do? Will I be able to get my belongings out? Will I have a couple of days before utilities are shut off? From description, does it sound likely they will instantly condemn it when they see the inside?
I am totally clueless about a house being condemned and everything relating to it, I am just trying to read and educate myself quickly while looking for some place to move into that I can afford. Also, are there resources to help me get moved? Any knowledge, comments, advice are more than welcomed as I am ignorant on this and scared that within days my house will be condemned. Thank you all!

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama (city of Birmingham if it matters(
The house I am renting has a bad roof (which has been covered in tarps for some time), needs paint, etc and the roof does leak through to the inside in one room. I am quite sure there is mold (it has a musty, mold smell in some rooms of the house). My landlord had lowered my rent and did no repairs after several men worked on patching the roof and failed and I accepted this. I am on a fixed income. At any rate, last month the LL received a letter from the City Inspector for this area that the house was going to be condemned if the roof was not repaired and the house painted and I am unsure of what else. I have been aggressively seeking another place to live since and have one good possibility but it is not available until May 1.
I spoke with the Inspector regarding this house and what would happen if they condemn it (how long I have to get out) and he said it could be anywhere from instant to 60 days IF my LL does not make the repairs. At this point, my LL cannot afford to make the repairs and is unable to obtain a loan for the repairs. Also, the Inspector has only accessed from the OUTSIDE, he has NOT been inside.
When I spoke with the Inspector, he said he would likely need to come in and look at the inside towards the end of this month. In one room, some of the ceiling fell, the LL had someone put plywood up (no idea why) and it's leaking pretty heavily around the plywood. How likely do you guys think it is that they will condemn it on the spot if the Inspector comes inside and sees this?
IF it is condemned at once, what do I do? Will I be able to get my belongings out? Will I have a couple of days before utilities are shut off? From description, does it sound likely they will instantly condemn it when they see the inside?
I am totally clueless about a house being condemned and everything relating to it, I am just trying to read and educate myself quickly while looking for some place to move into that I can afford. Also, are there resources to help me get moved? Any knowledge, comments, advice are more than welcomed as I am ignorant on this and scared that within days my house will be condemned. Thank you all!
If a landlord fails to maintain the dwelling in a habitable condition, the tenant may provide written notice of intent to terminate the rental agreement after 14 days following receipt of the notice. If the landlord makes the necessary repairs within that time, the rental agreement continues to be enforceable. If, however, the landlord fails to make the required repairs, the rental agreement terminates at the end of the 14 days, and the landlord must return the security deposit and any prepaid rent.
http://adph.org/IAQ/assets/Landlordtenantfactsheet%20.pdf

https://www.birminghamal.gov/

https://www.alabamalegalhelp.org/issues/housing/landlord-and-tenant

adjusterjack

It appears that the situation is in the investigation phase.

According to the following document, once the investigation is completed the inspector will do a formal write-up and, at some point, post a sign on the door "Danger, Do Not Enter."

https://www.birminghamal.gov/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/CondemnationRepairPermitBrochure.pdf

Worst case scenario, you will not be allowed back in to get your stuff when that sign goes up.

Beyond that, anything can happen and there is no way to predict.

I suggest you get yourself a storage room and get your belongings put away just in case you do get put out with no notice.

Once the axe falls there is no reprieve.

Condemnedrenter

AdjusterJack,
Thank you for the advice. My LL just informed he received 30 more days from the city to correct the problems and is wanting me to pay rent for next month. I am in no hurry to pay rent because 30 days will be April 22, and that's not a full month....and I likely won't be living here in a month anyway. The mold is really getting to me. So I am packing, about to rent a storage unit, and have a possibility of somewhere to move to as soon as about April 20. In the meantime, I am afraid to even go to my door fearing it might be the Inspector. I'm not sure how strict the city is and if they'd give me any time to get my belongings out. So I'm just hoping everything goes smoothly until I can get all of my belonging out and secure the other place to live.

adjusterjack

This is pure conjecture on my part but if the LL was given 30 days to repair it isn't likely that the inspector will be back before those 30 days are up.

What you do about the rent is up to you. But since the LL has already reduced your rent due to condition, it seems like it would be wise to talk to him about paying partial rent on the first for the number of days you will remain.

When you have nailed down your move out date make sure you give him 10 days written notice ahead of time. That's all that your state requires. Or you can give him 14 days notice that you are terminating tenancy due to his failure to maintain the property. The risk there is that he suddenly comes up with the money and does the repairs and you'll be stuck there.

FarmerJ

For your records get a copy of the actual repair orders from inspections and quickly take a lot of pictures of the condition of the home , the things that need repair and go to a place where you can have them printed with a date on them SO later on if the LL tries to sue you then you can offer to a judge your copies of the repair order and offer to the judge copies of the inside repairs.

Condemnedrenter

Farmer J,
That is great advice. I've needed to do that for some time, but have put it on the back burner. I will move that up the priority list. Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">