• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are our landlords violating DC laws?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ll77

What is the name of your state? Washington, DC

Hello,

I currently live in a group house with several other tenants. This house has been a group house for a few years. In the past few months, we've had problems with ****roaches and rodents, and I have asked the landlords twice to have the house sprayed, which wasn't done.

The lease for the house is every six months, which is often renewed by many of the tenants because of the cheaper rent. The LL informed us in early July that after this current lease is up, we all have to move because they are taking the house back (end of August). In the lease we signed, it stated we would get the deposit back in 45 days.

As of last week, the kitchen sink broke since the pipes were rotted (there is no disposal). Whenever the sink is turned on, water spills every where on the floor in big brown puddles. We can't wash dishes or barely use the kitchen. There's little ****roaches on the counters. When we told the LL, they replied that they were on vacation and could not fix it until they came back. For the number of people in this house that seems unacceptable.

In the past, they have kept peoples' deposit in lieu of rent for the final month. None of us want to pay the rent because of the deteriorating living conditions. Are they violating and DC landlording laws? Do we have any rights as tenants or where would I look to find this out? Thanks for your time.

Have you given written notice to the LL of these needed repairs and mailed it CRRR? You need to do this to prove you have made requests to him before you can take the legal remedies that are avilable to you. After you notify him as above, you need to give him a reasonable amount of time to repair these before you can apply the legal remedies. If you have not already done this, your next (and last) rent will be due before his timelimit for repairs are up. Always put all repair requests in writing. Otherwise you have no proof that you made these requests. Send him this written request immediately.

If you have already done so, and have a copy to prove it, call the court and inquire if they can do rent withholding for you. It is an option in some areas, but I don't know DC law. You would pay your rent to the clerk of courts who holds it in an escrow account. They notify the LL that they have his rent so he cannot evict you. He won't be able to get the money until he makes his repairs. The other legal option in some areas is repair and deduct. You have the repairs made then deduct the amount of the repairs from the next rent. This too requires all of the the above notice and repair time for the LL, before you can do this. You will have to check whether these remedies are legal in your area. If they are not, do NOT use them! If you have not given notice as above, don't do them! You can find an eviction case against you. Even if you move out before the hearing, it will show up on your court records for the next LL to see.

I'm sorry I can be of so little help. You must make these requests in writing before you can do anything about them. My only other suggestion would be to call the local health district to see if this violates health & safety ordinances.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">