• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal belongings problem...........

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

eveelynn

Wisconsin.

I didn't know where else to post this, I hope one of you can help me out.

Last July my daughter's boyfriend enlisted in the military. He was all ready to go, and he asked my daughter and myself to take care of his dog and keep his furniture and personal belongings until he got a house on base. My daughter and he had been living together in an apartment before he enlisted. We were very proud of his decision to serve.

He quit his job, gave up his apartment, and moved all of his stuff into my basement and second floor great room. He had furniture, many tools, a gun and knife collection, all of which he didn't want to put in a storage warehouse because of the cost and the fear of losing his expensive belongings.

My daughter's BF only stayed with us a few days when he was called to deploy to a base out of state. We said our goodbyes, and we thought he would be gone for a while.

Later that same day, he called and told us the military had changed their minds regarding his tattoos, and were sending him home. His tattoos were not obscene, just rather large and conspicuous.

He came back to my home, since he had no apartment anymore. His old boss offered him his job back, but he refused stating he was appealing the military decision, and had to be "ready" to deploy at any time.

Well, he sat around my house all of July and August, doing nothing, sleeping until the afternoon, and not contributing anything to living costs or food. I talked with him several times insisting he at least get a job and pay room and board, and he refused. By September, I had had enough, and I kicked him out of my home.

He then moved into an apartment with a friend of his, and took his dog and my daughter with him. He left his belongings at my house because his friend's apartment is a small two room place, and he has nowhere to put his things.

He's STILL living with his friend, he's STILL unemployed at this time, and I'm still stuck with his things in my house. I've told him several times that I want his stuff out, but he just says he has nowhere to put it, and he has no idea when he'll be able to move all his belongings out. He claims he's still appealing the military's decision, and he cannot work or get a place of his own. He even had the nerve to complain about a briefcase of his that got mold on it from being in my basement. I reminded him it's a basement, not a climate controlled storage building.

How can I legally get his stuff out of my home? I want my house back. Am I responsible for the condition of his belongings, even though I don't want them here?

Also, I've asked him several times to take my address off of his mail, and he's refused. How can I get my address off of his bills and his mail? He acts like I'm his personal post office.

He's currently living off his friend, and getting money from his mother. I've even suggested he take his stuff to his own mom's home, but she also lives in a tiny apartment and has no room.

What can I do? It's been six months of his stalling.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

H

hexeliebe

Write this person a certified (Return receipt requested) letter at the address where he is now staying. Inform him he has 15 calendar days in which to remove his belonging from your home and to change his mailing address so that you receive no further mail in his name.

If he does not accomplish this in the allotted 15 calendar days, inform him that you will take all necessary measures to legally take possession of the belongings and sell them to recover the costs of your actions.

Then, if he does not remove them in the 15 days, go see an attorney locally about 'abandoned property' actions.

HomeGuru

eveelynn said:
Wisconsin.

I didn't know where else to post this, I hope one of you can help me out.

Last July my daughter's boyfriend enlisted in the military. He was all ready to go, and he asked my daughter and myself to take care of his dog and keep his furniture and personal belongings until he got a house on base. My daughter and he had been living together in an apartment before he enlisted. We were very proud of his decision to serve.

He quit his job, gave up his apartment, and moved all of his stuff into my basement and second floor great room. He had furniture, many tools, a gun and knife collection, all of which he didn't want to put in a storage warehouse because of the cost and the fear of losing his expensive belongings.

My daughter's BF only stayed with us a few days when he was called to deploy to a base out of state. We said our goodbyes, and we thought he would be gone for a while.

Later that same day, he called and told us the military had changed their minds regarding his tattoos, and were sending him home. His tattoos were not obscene, just rather large and conspicuous.

He came back to my home, since he had no apartment anymore. His old boss offered him his job back, but he refused stating he was appealing the military decision, and had to be "ready" to deploy at any time.

Well, he sat around my house all of July and August, doing nothing, sleeping until the afternoon, and not contributing anything to living costs or food. I talked with him several times insisting he at least get a job and pay room and board, and he refused. By September, I had had enough, and I kicked him out of my home.

He then moved into an apartment with a friend of his, and took his dog and my daughter with him. He left his belongings at my house because his friend's apartment is a small two room place, and he has nowhere to put his things.

He's STILL living with his friend, he's STILL unemployed at this time, and I'm still stuck with his things in my house. I've told him several times that I want his stuff out, but he just says he has nowhere to put it, and he has no idea when he'll be able to move all his belongings out. He claims he's still appealing the military's decision, and he cannot work or get a place of his own. He even had the nerve to complain about a briefcase of his that got mold on it from being in my basement. I reminded him it's a basement, not a climate controlled storage building.

How can I legally get his stuff out of my home? I want my house back. Am I responsible for the condition of his belongings, even though I don't want them here?

Also, I've asked him several times to take my address off of his mail, and he's refused. How can I get my address off of his bills and his mail? He acts like I'm his personal post office.

He's currently living off his friend, and getting money from his mother. I've even suggested he take his stuff to his own mom's home, but she also lives in a tiny apartment and has no room.

What can I do? It's been six months of his stalling.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
**A: have a garage sale and write on all his incoming mail "Moved, not at this address, return to sender".

H

hexeliebe

Hey Homie, doesn't this thread sound very similar to the kid who left his things at his girlfriend's mother's house .....

hmmmmmmmm:D

E

eveelynn

I'm SOOOO sorry for having bothered you. I looked in the "search" for 'left belongings at girlfriend's mother's house', and the search came up with zero. I got a message that read, "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.", I tried many other terms, but got not one message like mine. Sorry if I bothered you all, perhaps you could direct me to that post?

Something I noticed whenever I come to one of these "free legal advice" boards, no matter what the question, I've had to contend with smart-assed answers at every turn.

I was merely asking for some help. Don't worry, I won't ever do it again.

Thanks!

HomeGuru

eveelynn said:
I'm SOOOO sorry for having bothered you. I looked in the "search" for 'left belongings at girlfriend's mother's house', and the search came up with zero. I got a message that read, "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.", I tried many other terms, but got not one message like mine. Sorry if I bothered you all, perhaps you could direct me to that post?

Something I noticed whenever I come to one of these "free legal advice" boards, no matter what the question, I've had to contend with smart-assed answers at every turn.

I was merely asking for some help. Don't worry, I won't ever do it again.

Thanks!
**A: this is too funny. The search was too specific. How is the software going to search for belongings at girlfriend's mothers house?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Here is the law of Wisconsin concerning duties of a landlord regarding abandoned property. Read, make a choice, and follow the instructions carefully.

Copy and paste this link into your browser without the on each side: [url]http://wis-law.com/tenant704.html#anchor3838441

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">