• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property manager charged me sink clog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Califajoy

The landlord property manager charged me for plumbing repair For $95, only sink clog, plumber stayed 5 min, the charge is outrageous.

I did not know how much he charged until see the bill, he refused to remove the charge, they hold my deposit, nothing I can do about it?

adjusterjack

You caused the clog, you pay for unclogging it.

$95 doesn't seem unreasonable for a plumber to come out.

If you had called a drain cleaning service you would have paid about the same give or take. You can call around and confirm that.

As for the 5 minutes, I'm reminded of the story of the building owner that had serious electrical problems and called an electrician. The electrician looked over the situation, opened the electrical panel, replaced a part and handed the building owner a bill for $2000.

The building owner was astounded. "Took you five minutes and it didn't look like much of a part. How much does the part cost?"

Electrician: "$10."

Owner: "Then what is the $1990 for?"

Electrician: "For knowing where to put it."

The point being, had you known how to unclog the drain, you could have done it for free. Needing a professional cost you money. And plumbers ain't cheap.

Last edited:

Gail in Georgia

Would you feel better for your $95 if the plumber had stayed 45 minutes?

My favorite plumber story...

Guy calls a plumber for a clogged toilet. Plumber unclogs it and then hands him a bill for $300. Guy says "$300! My doctor doesn't charge this much when I go for a visit!". Plumber says "Neither did I back when I was a doctor."

Gail

FarmerJ

If you didn't use strainer baskets to help keep food debris from going down the drain or dumped grease down the drain or coffee grounds and those things helped create a clog is that normal wear and tear or something you could have avoided doing? if you washed long hair over the sink and let the hair go down the drain its possible that too will create a clog. if you do not own strainer inserts for food or hair go to a hardware store, buy some, they will still be yours when you move so take them with to the next place too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">