• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Puppy Mill/ Breeding Facility in my Rental House

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beall

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Hi,
I am renting my house to a family that has 2 large dogs and one smaller dog. When they moved in, August of 2017, they told me the 2 larger dogs would be outside and that he was to build an outdoor kennel for them. The smaller dog would be the only one in the house. In September my husband and I went to the house to do some minor repairs. The two large dogs were tied up to a tree outside, with no kennels. Upon entering the basemen of the house, I discovered about 10 newborn puppies huddled on the basement floor. I actually smelled them first. The smell of puppy poo was overwhelming. The tenant told me his dog was pregnant when he moved there and he didn't know it and that he was going to find homes for the puppies.
In November of last year, I was notified by the tenant that there was a leak in the bathroom, somewhere. A plumber/friend of our went to the house to make the repair at that time he told me the puppies were still in the basement and that the dogs had chewed he insulation of the hot water heater. He said the bathroom was in dirty, unsanitary condition at that time. I thought i would give them some time to find homes for the puppies since they had just been born 2 months prior.
Last night I received a call from my former tenant I will call Lucille. She had been visiting her friends that live next door to my tenants. Lucille had loved the house and decided to introduce herself to the new tenants. My tenant and Lucille struck up conversation and my former tenant was invited in. She was immediately greeted with the smell of multiple dogs (defecating in the house). She said there were multiple dog crates with adult dogs in them upstairs, and she heard dogs in the basement. When she asked about the dogs in the basement my tenant told her they had puppies. She would not allow Lucille to go down, but did bring one up to show her. Lucille said they were newborns, so these are new puppies! Her concern was not only because she knew I had kept the house immaculately clean, but also for the welfare of the dogs. She said she feels there were many dogs in the basement and that they may be breeding them to make a few dollars.
I am not sure how to proceed. The lease says I can make an inspection annually. They have not been in the house for a year though. I could let them know I need to enter the house to measure some stuff for the bathroom renovation I told them I would do at some point and hope they can't get the dogs moved by the time I get there. I know I cant evict them on second hand information. Also , will I need proof, such as pictures to evict them? They have broken the lease as far as I am concerned by not keeping clean, good sanitary conditions. My lease states simply that they can have dogs and cats, but does not specify the amount. Verbally it was agreed only one indoor dog. If they truly do have a puppy mill situation going on, is that enough to evict?

PayrollHRGuy

Annually means once per year. It doesn't necessarily mean that you have to do it 12 months after they have been in the house unless the lease says so.

Also you have been notified (by the plumber) that there is possibly dangerous damage to the hot water heater. It is your responsibility to fix that damage. You have to go into the house to fix it.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Hi,
I am renting my house to a family that has 2 large dogs and one smaller dog. When they moved in, August of 2017, they told me the 2 larger dogs would be outside and that he was to build an outdoor kennel for them. The smaller dog would be the only one in the house. In September my husband and I went to the house to do some minor repairs. The two large dogs were tied up to a tree outside, with no kennels. Upon entering the basemen of the house, I discovered about 10 newborn puppies huddled on the basement floor. I actually smelled them first. The smell of puppy poo was overwhelming. The tenant told me his dog was pregnant when he moved there and he didn't know it and that he was going to find homes for the puppies.
In November of last year, I was notified by the tenant that there was a leak in the bathroom, somewhere. A plumber/friend of our went to the house to make the repair at that time he told me the puppies were still in the basement and that the dogs had chewed he insulation of the hot water heater. He said the bathroom was in dirty, unsanitary condition at that time. I thought i would give them some time to find homes for the puppies since they had just been born 2 months prior.
Last night I received a call from my former tenant I will call Lucille. She had been visiting her friends that live next door to my tenants. Lucille had loved the house and decided to introduce herself to the new tenants. My tenant and Lucille struck up conversation and my former tenant was invited in. She was immediately greeted with the smell of multiple dogs (defecating in the house). She said there were multiple dog crates with adult dogs in them upstairs, and she heard dogs in the basement. When she asked about the dogs in the basement my tenant told her they had puppies. She would not allow Lucille to go down, but did bring one up to show her. Lucille said they were newborns, so these are new puppies! Her concern was not only because she knew I had kept the house immaculately clean, but also for the welfare of the dogs. She said she feels there were many dogs in the basement and that they may be breeding them to make a few dollars.
I am not sure how to proceed. The lease says I can make an inspection annually. They have not been in the house for a year though. I could let them know I need to enter the house to measure some stuff for the bathroom renovation I told them I would do at some point and hope they can't get the dogs moved by the time I get there. I know I cant evict them on second hand information. Also , will I need proof, such as pictures to evict them? They have broken the lease as far as I am concerned by not keeping clean, good sanitary conditions. My lease states simply that they can have dogs and cats, but does not specify the amount. Verbally it was agreed only one indoor dog. If they truly do have a puppy mill situation going on, is that enough to evict?
Report it to Animal Control/ASPCA.

Gail in Georgia

Many counties have a limit on the number of dogs a person can have per household. Check with your local Animal Control or License and Inspection to determine the number allowed in your county. Explain your concern to Animal Control and ask for their suggestions.

Then simply announce to your tenants your need to inspect the property. You can, if you wish, request Animal Control to accompany you.

In many cases, Animal Control CANNOT enter a property without the owners permission. You are the owner.

If these tenants are now running a puppy mill, begin the process of eviction. Immediately. No questions asked and no excuses from them. Take pictures of the number of animals in your house and any tied up outside (again, in many counties dogs cannot be left outside tied up without shelter AND owners monitoring them).

You might check around and see if there are local rescue groups that would take these dogs and these puppies. Otherwise, they may end up being euthanized if Animal Control has no room for them.

Gail

Just Blue

Many counties have a limit on the number of dogs a person can have per household. Check with your local Animal Control or License and Inspection to determine the number allowed in your county. Explain your concern to Animal Control and ask for their suggestions.

Then simply announce to your tenants your need to inspect the property. You can, if you wish, request Animal Control to accompany you.

In many cases, Animal Control CANNOT enter a property without the owners permission. You are the owner.

If these tenants are now running a puppy mill, begin the process of eviction. Immediately. No questions asked and no excuses from them. Take pictures of the number of animals in your house and any tied up outside (again, in many counties dogs cannot be left outside tied up without shelter AND owners monitoring them).

You might check around and see if there are local rescue groups that would take these dogs and these puppies. Otherwise, they may end up being euthanized if Animal Control has no room for them.

Gail
I would think that even if it isn't a puppy mill that the pups are being kept in unsanitary conditions that might prompt intervention from AC.

Gail in Georgia

This is true.

While it is sometimes difficult to determine if someone is breeding dogs to sell puppies (and thus, often requires a breeding license to do so), animals kept in poor conditions can be pulled.

I do volunteer work in cat and (now) puppy rescue and two of the biggest issues we see locally are 1. being able to enter a property to even discuss the condition of the animals with the owner and 2. getting AC to remove the animals IF their facilities are already full (which, sadly, they often are).

In this case, number 1 is a moot point (the OP IS the owner) and if a rescue can be on standby, this increases the likelihood of animals in poor condition being pulled and not automatically euthanized.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">