• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rat issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

madkukke

I moved to rental townhouse on Sep 1st 2017. The first time I noticed the problem was when I found a dead rat on Oct 20, 2017. The problem was reported to the leasing company on Oct 23, 2017 when I caught 6 rats overnight. Our leasing company did send a handyman on Oct 28, 2017 and he plugged what he suspected were holes in the kitchen area. I felt the issue was resolved but then I started observing activity again around the 06 or 07 Dec 2017. I found rats moving around on Dec 08, 2017 and placed a couple of traps and caught 2 that night. I then reported the problem on Dec 09, 2017 and asked for an exterminator/pest control. They sent another handyman on Dec 16, 2017 and he checked the perimeter of the house and other areas and plugged a hole in one of the outside doors. He also laid a couple of traps. The traps that he laid caught 2 more rats that night. I notified the leasing company about it and notified them that if the issue persists I will consider other options. They did not proactively take action and asked us to monitor the situation and mentioned they will contact an exterminator when I encounter any more rats. Then I caught 2 more rats last week. I have communicated the same to the leasing company and they are arranging for an exterminator/pest control to come and check.

I have lost my peace of mind and also have a toddler living in home. I want to check what are my options as a tenant. Do I have the option to break and come out of the lease. My lease started in Sep 2017 and ends in Aug 2018.
I expect the leasing company to proactively take action as it is their property and they need to ensure they keep it safe from rats and pest but instead they take action only after receiving a complaint from me.

xylene

I moved to rental townhouse on Sep 1st 2017. The first time I noticed the problem was when I found a dead rat on Oct 20, 2017. The problem was reported to the leasing company on Oct 23, 2017 when I caught 6 rats overnight. Our leasing company did send a handyman on Oct 28, 2017 and he plugged what he suspected were holes in the kitchen area. I felt the issue was resolved but then I started observing activity again around the 06 or 07 Dec 2017. I found rats moving around on Dec 08, 2017 and placed a couple of traps and caught 2 that night. I then reported the problem on Dec 09, 2017 and asked for an exterminator/pest control. They sent another handyman on Dec 16, 2017 and he checked the perimeter of the house and other areas and plugged a hole in one of the outside doors. He also laid a couple of traps. The traps that he laid caught 2 more rats that night. I notified the leasing company about it and notified them that if the issue persists I will consider other options. They did not proactively take action and asked us to monitor the situation and mentioned they will contact an exterminator when I encounter any more rats. Then I caught 2 more rats last week. I have communicated the same to the leasing company and they are arranging for an exterminator/pest control to come and check.

I have lost my peace of mind and also have a toddler living in home. I want to check what are my options as a tenant. Do I have the option to break and come out of the lease. My lease started in Sep 2017 and ends in Aug 2018.
I expect the leasing company to proactively take action as it is their property and they need to ensure they keep it safe from rats and pest but instead they take action only after receiving a complaint from me.

What state and city is this occuring in?

justalayman

Describe what you define as a townhouse. Is it a stand alone unit? Attached to other units?

What does your lease say to anything that might speak to this?

FarmerJ

Have you considered asking any of your neighbors if they have rat/ mouse problems and if they have did you or any of them ever consider calling your city building inspector in to write orders to the LL to get this taken care of ?

madkukke

Describe what you define as a townhouse. Is it a stand alone unit? Attached to other units?

What does your lease say to anything that might speak to this?
It is a condo/townhome, attached in a row. The lease is not in favor to tenant, it only speaks about landlord, but it does mention re-rent levy and 45 days notice to break the lease.

madkukke

Have you considered asking any of your neighbors if they have rat/ mouse problems and if they have did you or any of them ever consider calling your city building inspector in to write orders to the LL to get this taken care of ?

I have not asked them, but I'm sure even they will be having rat problems as I initially found a dead rat. I did call up and narrate my story to the city council, they said it's the tenant who needs to take care of it.[why on earth does a tenant take care of plugging holes in the house]. well it was of no use speaking to them.

This thing is stuck in my head, every tiny noise i hear it makes me feel there is a rat

Gail in Georgia

Your posting indicates that management has been "proactive" regarding this issue, including, at this point in time, arranging for an exterminator to come and check out the issue. To date they have sent maintenance to address plugging holes for entrance into your unit as well as setting traps.

As such, because management IS making the effort to address the issue, you do not have a legal reason to break your lease.

In a sense, it is an issue that needs to involve both the tenant and management. The tenant must make certain not to leave open food or garbage around that may increase the problem of drawing more rodents into the rental area.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">