• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rent Check Issued from "Closed" bank account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wbkski

What is the name of your state? Utah
A tenant has written 2 checks for rent. 1st check for April rent bounced and on the check was "account closed" stamp. As we are now into the second month (May) I asked for a new check for both months rent and only received one months payment. The check was issued from the same closed account. I called the issuing bank to verify and they said it was closed. Isn't this considered some sort of "fraud"?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

wbkski said:
What is the name of your state? Utah
A tenant has written 2 checks for rent. 1st check for April rent bounced and on the check was "account closed" stamp. As we are now into the second month (May) I asked for a new check for both months rent and only received one months payment. The check was issued from the same closed account. I called the issuing bank to verify and they said it was closed. Isn't this considered some sort of "fraud"?

My response:

Yes, and it's also breach of contract. Now that you know this, what do you intend to do?

Keep taking checks from this person?

IAAL

W

wbkski

Closed Account

What would you suggest? He rented this home from me for his mother who is still living there. He used his business as a form of security for me. I've called his business several times, but only get an answering service. His mother claims she doesn't have his phone number. I still have the new check that he gave me..I didn't even attempt to cash it as the bank confirmed it was closed.
Should I contact a lawyer?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Closed Account

wbkski said:

"Should I contact a lawyer?"

=====================================

My response:

No, absolutely not. You just keep doing what you've been doing. Keep accepting those "rubber" checks.

IAAL

W

wbkski

Checks

I'm not sure how to read your response. I hope you weren't being flip. I need to know if I should contact a lawyer or the police. Do you have a professional suggestion?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Checks

wbkski said:
I'm not sure how to read your response. I hope you weren't being flip. I need to know if I should contact a lawyer or the police. Do you have a professional suggestion?
My response:

Contact an attorney. Start Eviction proceedings.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">