• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rent stabilization?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Melani3R

i requested my apartments registration which says my apartment is rent stabalized- and the last tenant paid much less than half of what I pay now. It took six months to get a copy of my lease- and I see it says not rent stabilized. How does this happen?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
i requested my apartments registration which says my apartment is rent stabalized- and the last tenant paid much less than half of what I pay now. It took six months to get a copy of my lease- and I see it says not rent stabilized. How does this happen?
What US state?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
1) What percentage difference is there?
2) Were any renovations done after the prior tenant moved out?

ETA: You already answered #1 (I missed it). It's quite possible that the prior tenant was receiving a preferential rent rate, which would have an effect on things for you.

Last edited:

Melani3R

I'm unsure of the percentage- but it went up from 907 to 2400. It did appear to be renovated, but I wasn't sure what would warrant this much of an increase.

Melani3R

I actually just realized that no one before me was paying preferential rent according to the apartments registration. Just says they were paying legal regulated rent. I haven't said anything to my landlord because they are very unfriendly and I'm a little nervous, but curious. Thanks all for your input.

HRZ

Don't be afraid...do more homework ,,quickly ...polishing the doorknob does not constitute a renovation ..use some aggressive street smarts . for all you know that big contractor actually worked on LLs home in Hamptons but billed it to the NYC address ..take nothing at face value until double confirmed.

I am aware of some super wacky steps to hike rents in rent stabilized situations ...yours smells until proven otherwise .

Melani3R

Thank you for your input. I consulted with someone (not sure if I'll pursue) but said my apartment is indeed 100% rent stabilized and there was no permit to tear down walls in the apartment (they turned it into a 3 bedroom from a 2 bedroom). I do know the renovations are very cheaply done- once my door (lightest door ever) flew open and busted my wall a bit- the dent honestly feels like cardboard.

HRZ

Not even sure a conversion from 2 to 3 is "legal" in NYC wo a lot of paperwork and permits....smells worse .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">