• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roomate issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

socalfem

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Calif.
I have a roomate who in the first two months of living here (moved in June 29th,08 ) she was late with the rent, the LL finally got his money a week ago. I asked him if he would evict her so I could get another roomate, but he didn't want to do that.
What can I do if she is late again ? We are both on the lease and I don't want to be liable for her (LL said he wanted to have roomates Dad co-sign but changed his mind). She has ended up being very irresponsible to say the least and I have told LL that I have done nothing wrong (he agrees) but she now has her sister and puppy staying here for the last month (was for a few days she said) with no leaving in sight.
I would like my son and daughter in law to move in because they are having $ problems, but I know lease wise they aren't on it (or her sister)...would I be putting myself in the same problem roomie will have if LL does something about her sis being here ?? Should I ask LL first or just move them in ? roomie never asked me if sis could even stay here**************help please

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Calif.
I have a roomate who in the first two months of living here (moved in June 29th,08 ) she was late with the rent, the LL finally got his money a week ago. I asked him if he would evict her so I could get another roomate, but he didn't want to do that.
What can I do if she is late again ? We are both on the lease and I don't want to be liable for her (LL said he wanted to have roomates Dad co-sign but changed his mind). She has ended up being very irresponsible to say the least and I have told LL that I have done nothing wrong (he agrees) but she now has her sister and puppy staying here for the last month (was for a few days she said) with no leaving in sight.
I would like my son and daughter in law to move in because they are having $ problems, but I know lease wise they aren't on it (or her sister)...would I be putting myself in the same problem roomie will have if LL does something about her sis being here ?? Should I ask LL first or just move them in ? roomie never asked me if sis could even stay here**************help please
**A: sounds like you are stuck.

ecmst12

You should have considered all this before signing a contract where you agreed to be jointly and severally liable for the rent with her.

socalfem

You should have considered all this before signing a contract where you agreed to be jointly and severally liable for the rent with her.
well people aren't always the way you wish they were all the time**************but thanks for your wisdom

ecmst12

What you do is, you cover her rent when she is late, to keep your credit in the clear and prevent late fees, and you move out as soon as your lease is up. If she owes you any money when you move out, sue her.

socalfem

What you do is, you cover her rent when she is late, to keep your credit in the clear and prevent late fees, and you move out as soon as your lease is up. If she owes you any money when you move out, sue her.
I haven't done that yet and I'm not gonna start.....thats on her and I told the landlord that she's a grown adult and I can't keep reminding her of her obligations (he did agree). she already had to pay late fee and a NSF fee.

ecmst12

The problem with that is, you and she are a package deal. If he evicts her, he evicts BOTH of you. If she doesn't pay her rent or late fees, he can come after EITHER or BOTH of you. And since you seem to be more financially stable, he'll probably come after you first. You do have recourse against her, if you have to pay her share, but as far as the lease is concerned, you are one and the same.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">