• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant moved did not return keys.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pbjb116

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
Renters lease is up March 3rd. She has been notified every month since December that we were not renewing the lease. She did not pay January or February rent. Her water was shut off for non-payment February 15th but she was still living there with 5 children. DCFS was contacted, they did a welfare check. My son lives next door and spoke to the investigator. He was told the toilet was backed up and there was poop floating in the bathtub! Since then they have moved out but have not returned the keys and I don't expect them to be returned. Do I need to evict? I have no idea where they moved. Or do I just wait a specified amount of time and it is considered abandoned?

FarmerJ

Have you already taken pictures to try to establish the units condition and to show it as abandoned ? do you have electric or gas disconnection records or did the tenant already call in a order for new services at a new address and take gas & elect out of their name ? How much stuff was left behind or is the unit empty ?

Gail in Georgia

"She did not pay January or February rent."

The eviction process should have started back in January when rent was not received. Why wasn't it?

Gail

Just Blue

"She did not pay January or February rent."

The eviction process should have started back in January when rent was not received. Why wasn't it?

Gail
Likely because the OP is not up to the task of managing his own property. S/he should hire a good property management company.

HRZ

I know zero about abandonment...my crystal ball went on strike...but around me no water is rock,solid about no legal,right to inhabit.

OP just gotta bet you failed to file proper,steps for eviction and judgement .
.show me I'm wrong. Was she properly served?

LAck of keys might be highly symbolic as to lack of surrender...but I'll bet she was a skip not just on vacation until you got things fixed up to suit her.

Gail in Georgia

"Likely because the OP is not up to the task of managing his own property."

This is true. I often wonder what such landlords think when they open the mailbox day after day and only moths fly out at them.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">