• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trashed on arrival

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

awffltony77

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mn
Paid 1st/last and damage to move into a rental Feb 1st. Upon that day, found the place to be trashed, inside and out. No running water, toilet seats, working stove....garbage everywhere.

Had to do our own clean up for 2 days just to move in. Landlord (when she does reply) says "I've been sick, so sorry,ect...). It's now the 5th. Still no water. No stove. No toilet seats, no clean up. I have 2 kids 3&10. What can I do?

FarmerJ

You didn't say if this property is in Hinckley or Pine city , sandstone, sturgeon , kerrick Brook park and Rockcreek BUT if your in one of those towns go to city hall and tell them that you rented a home in their city and LL will not fix the water to get it running and you want someone to come out , verify it and send a letter to the LL to order the repair or to condemn the place. (If they resist then ask them how they would like to be a consumer story on KSTP, KMSP, WCCO, because they wont take any steps to enforce state laws for rental housing habitability. IF your in Rock creek they are a city , other wise pinecity twp, pokegama , royalton, brook park twp chengwatana , and more that im too tired to remember go to the pine county government center north of old 61 and pine 11 (aka henriette road) and go to the county health department since they too have the ability to condemn. If the home is condemned you will have to move out and this LL will not be able to offer any logical reason to keep rent for the days you couldn't live there due to condemnation ? BTW you didn't rent that house on the curve by cross lake right before 8 and 9 split did you ?

Gail in Georgia

"no running water"

Is the problem because the water hasn't been turned on? If so, who is responsible for doing this; the landlord or the tenant?

Same with the stove.

Lowes has toilet seats for under $10.

Gail

FarmerJ

Rush city is Chisago county BUT if your in the city limits they do have a city hall, I have no idea what the hours are but every thing else I said applies go to city hall and get someone to address it. ( Now im wondering if your in the house my former co worker R used to rent , her LL wouldn't do squat, mouse- rat damage, ECE condemned the old 60 amp service and cut the lines and LL took so long to restore power that the county threatened R because she had no where else to go so she took some of her student loan money and paid a electrician her self to fix it, R complained constantly to the LL about things that I know were code issues. to the point that she moved , getting any thing done was a hassle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">