• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue my mediator?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mshockey17

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ny

I started mediation to reach a divorce agreement. The mediator advised that we were still tied financially so i proposed we establish a date for financial separation. We agreed on a date and established that agreement with the mediator. The mediator never made me aware that if we were to abandon mediation that the financial separation agreement decided in mediation would have no bearing if we were to continue in divorce court which was what happened. I did not understand this because I was never made aware and lost $27,000. Is there enough to sue the mediator? thanks

Just Blue

I started mediation to reach a divorce agreement. The mediator advised that we were still tied financially so i proposed we establish a date for financial separation. We agreed on a date and established that agreement with the mediator. The mediator never made me aware that if we were to abandon mediation that the financial separation agreement decided in mediation would have no bearing if we were to continue in divorce court which was what happened. I did not understand this because I was never made aware and lost $27,000. Is there enough to sue the mediator? thanks
Did you have an attorney?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Why do you feel it's the mediator's responsibility to advise you of this?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

No. That is not enough for a non-frivolous lawsuit.

Should you decide to sue, expect for it to be tossed out, and for you to have pay the mediator's court costs as well.

quincy

Mediation might have been better explained to you perhaps, but the NY court websites have a wealth of information on mediation that was free for you to access at any time.

You have no legal action to pursue against the mediator.

If you and your ex could not come to complete agreement on all aspects of your divorce during mediation, you start all over again with the trial. Mediation is an alternative to trial. It is where couples can resolve and settle their divorce disputes. It works for some and not for others.

https://www.nycourts.gov/ip/adr/divorcemediation.shtml

Sorry. It is almost always best (and cheapest) to come to an agreement outside a courtroom.

You should keep all related questions to a single thread. It helps forum members help you better.

Last edited:

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Now all of you should put your heads together to come up with names for all of the other days of the week.
I would, but I'd end up getting myself banned. ;)

(why don't we have a "halo" emojithingy?)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">