• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child / tharapist boundrys

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tyra

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

is it lawfully to have a male therapist pick up a 12 year old girl from home on a Sunday and take her to local Cafe for a weekly session?
child feels uncomfortable riding with stranger court ordered therapy child abuse allegations from 8 years ago. ulgy divorce in progress I'm no expert but is smells funky to me any help would be great thank you.

LdiJ

is it lawfully to have a male therapist pick up a 12 year old girl from home on a Sunday and take her to local Cafe for a weekly session?
child feels uncomfortable riding with stranger court ordered therapy child abuse allegations from 8 years ago. ulgy divorce in progress I'm no expert but is smells funky to me any help would be great thank you.
I would not be comfortable with that. It seems inappropriate to me and all things aside it allows for no privacy for the therapy session.

Does the therapist give any reason for wanting to handle it that way?

HRZ

MIght be very reasonable not to be in the home where ugly divorce is in process and less threatening than a formal setting elsewhere ..current .ugly divorce may be more of issue than 8 year old above ...none of us here know .

LdiJ

MIght be very reasonable not to be in the home where ugly divorce is in process and less threatening than a formal setting elsewhere ..current .ugly divorce may be more of issue than 8 year old above ...none of us here know .
12 year old not 8 year old. Even with that very jumbled thought it still seems way inappropriate to me.

quincy

Who are you in this scenario?

If the child feels uncomfortable with the current arrangement (and I think any child would or should be), she can make her discomfort known to her parent(s) and the court. A cafe is definitely not a great place for a personal therapy session where confidential information is being disclosed and discussed.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
12 year old not 8 year old. Even with that very jumbled thought it still seems way inappropriate to me.
I think HRZ's point is that the current divorce may be more of an issue, from the child's perspective, than alleged abuse that occurred 8 years ago.

quincy

I think HRZ's point is that the current divorce may be more of an issue, from the child's perspective, than alleged abuse that occurred 8 years ago.
I think you might have interpreted HRZ's post correctly. Good job. :)

Even if the divorce is an ugly one, though, the child's apparent problem is not with that but with the current therapy arrangement. She should voice her concerns so appropriate changes can be made.

commentator

I gather this is perhaps a non full time practicing therapist perhaps, who maybe doesn't have office space of their own? Is this perhaps an arrangement set up by the other parent, and our poster is the parent who didn't set it up or select this therapist?
If it is court sanctioned therapy, how does it happen that there's not someplace else they could have regular appointments? A twelve year old should be okay with not having therapy in the home, but in a neutral space, but a café doesn't really sound like what would be most appropriate. It really does, when presented this way, sound odd, probably "lawfully" but not exactly the usual way things would be done. I wonder if we are getting all the details.

Last edited:

Tyra

Reply to who am I

I am , you could say an uncle to the child. It's a real close friend of mine. her sister-in-law and brother have be the child. And they actually live in two different states so the ulgy divorce is more like court battling that the children no nothing about.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I submit that you are very far removed from this situation and only have second-hand or, third-hand, or maybe even fourth-hand information. Please be supportive of your friend, but don't try to insert yourself in to this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">