• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court appointed lawyer not returning phone calls

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lbb87

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I'm asking this for someone else.

The court appointed attorney is not returning their phone calls. The person has called the lawyer's office several times over the past few weeks but the lawyer won't call back. This has happened before. In fact, this lawyer has provided false information to the client in the past. Also, it is strongly believed that this lawyer is in conspiring with the prosecutor against his client. The person cannot afford to hire a lawyer which is why they have a court appointed lawyer.

This lawyer sits on the board of the county bar association and his co-workers are also involved with it.

Should the person call the state bar association and complain? Perhaps contact the judge's secretary and pass a note to the judge about what's going on? Any suggestions?

I will also add that this person is not the most pleasant person to deal with. He believes he is innocent when he is clearly wrong (he has a mental illness and is in denial). He's always angry when he talks to the lawyer and isn't very nice to him. However, I've also talked to this lawyer and I feel that he just doesn't care about this case. I've made suggestions and he just acts like he's irritated. But when I get involved, he actually tries to win the case. Whereas when I'm not involved he doesn't do anything.What is the name of your state?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Who are you in this? Why do you believe you have a right to contact this attorney? If your "friend" is mentally ill that may have a lot to do with it. He may be getting responses from the attorney but just not at the level he wants -- in other words he calls six times a day and the attorney only calls him once a week. Also there may not be a lot the attorney can do for him except try to work out a plea bargain that safeguards your friend's rights.

lbb87

I started going with this person to court and also when he talks to the lawyer. I have been doing this for the past year. I wasn't involved in the five years or so prior to that. I only speak to the lawyer when I have this person's permission.

The lawyer has not called him back at all. There's nothing on the Caller ID showing that he called. This person is trying to get some information from the lawyer about the case. But yet the lawyer refuses to contact him.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I started going with this person to court and also when he talks to the lawyer. I have been doing this for the past year. I wasn't involved in the five years or so prior to that. I only speak to the lawyer when I have this person's permission.

The lawyer has not called him back at all. There's nothing on the Caller ID showing that he called. This person is trying to get some information from the lawyer about the case. But yet the lawyer refuses to contact him.
Quite frankly unless you are the person's guardian you have no rights to be involved in this case or contact the attorney. How many times does he call the attorney? What type of messages does he leave? What kind of case is this? How long has it been since the attorney last contacted your mentally ill friend?
What makes you think this lawyer is conspiring with the prosecutor?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">