Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Divorce

Divorce

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Divorce

I would like to know what I can do to get alimony from my ex who divorce me but I never knew of the court date

Quote Originally Posted by Curenton View Post
    I would like to know what I can do to get alimony from my ex who divorce me but I never knew of the court date
    Maybe nothing. In what state are you located? Can you afford an attorney?

Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.

Divorce

Quote Originally Posted by Ohiogal View Post
    Maybe nothing. In what state are you located? Can you afford an attorney?
    Arkansas and yes I'll be able to get an attorney

Arkansas and yes I'll be able to get an attorney
    Have a consult with an attorney. A lot will depend on whether or not there is proof that you were not properly served. Also alimony is NOT a guarantee. It is dependent on several different factors. Was the divorce in Arkansas? How long ago was the divorce granted? Were you living with your spouse at that time? If not, how long had you been separated? How were you supporting yourself if separated? Did you know where your now ex lived? Did your now ex know where you lived? Do you two have mutual children? What is the difference in your incomes?

Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.

Question

We where married 22years and yes we knew where each other stayed at and I only get disability and he works so he have more income them me and we have three children together but they are grown

That's why I don't understand that he wouldn't tell me about the court date

So,I should just forget about it right

Divorce

So,I should just forget about it right

Divorce

Arkansas and I'm needing help with and divorce that I didn't get a court date or

Arkansas and I'm needing help with and divorce that I didn't get a court date or
    You should consult a local divorce attorney.

I'm curious - did you know about the divorce and just not know the date of the hearing?

Did or does your ex-husband have an attorney, or did your ex-husband file for divorce without the help of an attorney?

If your ex-husband has/had an attorney, you should have been properly served with the divorce papers and you should have been made aware of the hearing date. If your ex-husband did not have an attorney, he might have just fumbled the process.

Your own attorney should be able to assist you in getting everything resolved although, as Ohiogal noted, resolution does not (necessarily) mean you will be awarded alimony.

If no attorney has been involved yet, there is no legal ethics problem or attorney malpractice.

You should also know that alimony is pretty rare in Arkansas. As a 55 year old in the state I've know many people here that have gotten divorces and in only one case that I can remember was alimony granted and it was a case where the wife worked and put the husband through medical school and continued to provide a majority of the family income until about a year after he got his very successful practice started. He filed for divorce about a year later.

Quote Originally Posted by PayrollHRGuy View Post
    You should also know that alimony is pretty rare in Arkansas. As a 55 year old in the state I've know many people here that have gotten divorces and in only one case that I can remember was alimony granted and it was a case where the wife worked and put the husband through medical school and continued to provide a majority of the family income until about a year after he got his very successful practice started. He filed for divorce about a year later.
    There are some factors mentioned by Curenton that work in her favor if she is looking to collect alimony. One is the length of the marriage and the other is her disability. Although the trend is to not award alimony or, if awarded, to limit it to "rehabilitative" alimony or short-term alimony, alimony can still be awarded. It is certainly something Curenton should seek.

Curenton should also be aware that, because she was married over 10 years, she is eligible to collect social security benefits based on her ex-husband's work record.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast