• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer ignoring my phone calls

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Til_1975

What is the name of your state? KY

About 2 years ago, A Lawyer was representing my immigration needs, I was applying for a H1 Visa...there was a point during the proceedings when the lawyer said that the INS had made a mistake, and had to start the proceedings from the beginning. He then requested additional fees to cover the Visa fees. ( I have since then discovered that I was not supposed to pay for this, but rather the company that intended to employ me was) so, i finally then paid $2130 twice..The lawyer told me that the second fee would be refunded by the INS. However, since the visa issuance, I cannot contact the lawyer, but am constantly redirected to his voicemail, and I feel that he lied to me, as I want the second payment back. The lawyer is based in Washington D.C and the Job is based in Ohio.
What can I do to get my money back??

S

seniorjudge

File a complaint with the bar of the jurisdiction where the lawyer practices. This doesn't necessarily mean you will get your money back. The bar may also have mediation services for clients with problems about fees that lawyers have charged.

You may have to wind up taking the lawyer to small claims court to get your money back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">