• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer Not Responding to Phone Calls

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Meggy1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

If you hire a lawyer, then the lawyer later decides he/she doesn't want to represent you, don't they have to notify you? How does the notification typically work (a phone call, a letter, a legal document)? My husband's lawyer is ignoring his calls, but he hasn't said he's not going to represent him.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

If you hire a lawyer, then the lawyer later decides he/she doesn't want to represent you, don't they have to notify you? How does the notification typically work (a phone call, a letter, a legal document)? My husband's lawyer is ignoring his calls, but he hasn't said he's not going to represent him.
Is this related to your zoning issue? ( https://forum.freeadvice.com/other-real-estate-law-questions-11/zoning-inspector-violating-law-638746.html )

If it is, please put this question in that thread so everyone can see the big picture. Thank you.

quincy

The lawyer has to notify a client if he wishes to withdraw representation (and there can be several reasons why an attorney might choose to do so) and, depending on how far into the case it is, the attorney may need permission from the court to terminate the attorney-client relationship.

You as client are able to terminate the attorney-client relationship, as well, by notifying the attorney.

Notifications should be formal (in writing).

Here is a link to the Virginia Rules of Professional Conduct, Rule 1.6, Declining or Terminating Representation: http://www.vsb.org/pro-guidelines/index.php/rules/client-lawyer-relationship/rule1-16/

Last edited:

Dema

I would say that's a strong hint. Find another.

quincy

I would say that's a strong hint. Find another.
Or ... make an appointment with the current attorney first to discuss the matter.

There can be legitimate reasons why an attorney is not returning a client's phone calls or emails.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">