+ Reply to Thread

Lawyer Not Responding to Phone Calls

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

If you hire a lawyer, then the lawyer later decides he/she doesn't want to represent you, don't they have to notify you? How does the notification typically work (a phone call, a letter, a legal document)? My husband's lawyer is ignoring his calls, but he hasn't said he's not going to represent him.

Quote Originally Posted by Meggy1 View Post

If you hire a lawyer, then the lawyer later decides he/she doesn't want to represent you, don't they have to notify you? How does the notification typically work (a phone call, a letter, a legal document)? My husband's lawyer is ignoring his calls, but he hasn't said he's not going to represent him.
    Is this related to your zoning issue? ( Zoning Inspector is Violating the Law )

If it is, please put this question in that thread so everyone can see the big picture. Thank you.

The lawyer has to notify a client if he wishes to withdraw representation (and there can be several reasons why an attorney might choose to do so) and, depending on how far into the case it is, the attorney may need permission from the court to terminate the attorney-client relationship.

You as client are able to terminate the attorney-client relationship, as well, by notifying the attorney.

Notifications should be formal (in writing).

Here is a link to the Virginia Rules of Professional Conduct, Rule 1.6, Declining or Terminating Representation: http://www.vsb.org/pro-guidelines/in...ship/rule1-16/

Last edited by quincy; 12-28-2017 at 01:37 PM.

I would say that's a strong hint. Find another.

Quote Originally Posted by Dema View Post
    I would say that's a strong hint. Find another.
    Or ... make an appointment with the current attorney first to discuss the matter.

There can be legitimate reasons why an attorney is not returning a client's phone calls or emails.

+ Reply to Thread