• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Narrative or how a judge comes to decisions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

helifixer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AL

Is there a way to request a narrative or what process the judge used to determine his decisions? Of course I have lost two cases with the same judge and felt that I had a pretty good case (along with my attorney at the time.) I have only 3 court experiences here in Alabama and one of them took the judge a couple weeks to render a decision but this one judge rendered basically within a day on both cases. I would like to know how he weighed the evidence and testimonies to come to such a fast conclusion. I get the feeling he does not like me even though I don't know him. I cant help but feel like I was prejudiced against especially at the end of the last trial Feb 2015 when the opponent's attorney raised a question of a previous address from 2011 that had no relevance with the case, which that same judge ruled against me in a landlord/tenant issue.

I feel that I am a fair person and if I was really in the wrong, an explanation usually helps me understand what I did wrong so it will not happen again.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AL

Is there a way to request a narrative or what process the judge used to determine his decisions? Of course I have lost two cases with the same judge and felt that I had a pretty good case (along with my attorney at the time.) I have only 3 court experiences here in Alabama and one of them took the judge a couple weeks to render a decision but this one judge rendered basically within a day on both cases. I would like to know how he weighed the evidence and testimonies to come to such a fast conclusion. I get the feeling he does not like me even though I don't know him. I cant help but feel like I was prejudiced against especially at the end of the last trial Feb 2015 when the opponent's attorney raised a question of a previous address from 2011 that had no relevance with the case, which that same judge ruled against me in a landlord/tenant issue.

I feel that I am a fair person and if I was really in the wrong, an explanation usually helps me understand what I did wrong so it will not happen again.
You will generally not find anything that shows how the judge weighed the evidence and testimony to come to his conclusion, although a judge might state his reasoning. It is generally presumed that a judge bases his decisions on the law.

Here is a link to helifixer's related thread: https://forum.freeadvice.com/civil-litigation-46/oral-change-written-contract-612188.html

Last edited:

TigerD

In my rather limited experience, laypeople are extremely poor judges of their case.

TD

FlyingRon

A regular trial judge may or may not explain himself. He's under no obligation to do so. At the appeals court level, when they are laying down a published decision will explain themselves.

helifixer

A regular trial judge may or may not explain himself. He's under no obligation to do so. At the appeals court level, when they are laying down a published decision will explain themselves.
I have to agree with both of you Quincy and Tiger... I was a dumba** but with my experience with the 2 local attorneys I used I didnt see how I could of done worst but of course hindsite is 20/20...

So what are some recommendations available out here?

And thank you for all your inputs... this site is helpful even if it is just to vent so I can get different perspectives other than from friends and family.

quincy

I have to agree with both of you Quincy and Tiger... I was a dumba** but with my experience with the 2 local attorneys I used I didnt see how I could of done worst but of course hindsite is 20/20...

So what are some recommendations available out here?

And thank you for all your inputs... this site is helpful even if it is just to vent so I can get different perspectives other than from friends and family.
I think you can probably give up thoughts that the judge was biased in your case and that this bias was what led to your loss in court. I do not see this as an area that is worth your time exploring.

You could try to locate your missing attorney, or find another attorney at a free legal clinic in your area, perhaps, to have the facts of your case reviewed. From what you have posted, though, my feeling is that there is little you can do but accept the court's decision.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">