• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

10,000 car timing chain snapped

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Luciano2698

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois. Wanting to know I just recently had purchased a $10,000 vehicle from a car dealership and seeing it was 2 months ago is there any possibility of money returned or am I stuck with the $10,000 loss in Illinois.

FlyingRon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois. Wanting to know I just recently had purchased a $10,000 vehicle from a car dealership and seeing it was 2 months ago is there any possibility of money returned or am I stuck with the $10,000 loss in Illinois.
Too much hyperbole. The timing chain didn't wipe out a $10,000 car. At worst, you're looking at a thousand or two for an engine replacement. Timing chains have published lifespan. It was incumbent on you to do due diligence to tell if it needed replacement. If you had a warranty, it MIGHT have covered it but probably not. Most used cars are sold as is.

Luciano2698

Thank you for the quick response I had a tow truck driver tell me that's what my problem was I appreciate taking the time out still sad news but oh well small Stone in a big pond thanks again

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Too much hyperbole. The timing chain didn't wipe out a $10,000 car. At worst, you're looking at a thousand or two for an engine replacement. Timing chains have published lifespan. It was incumbent on you to do due diligence to tell if it needed replacement. If you had a warranty, it MIGHT have covered it but probably not. Most used cars are sold as is.
My mechanic would beg to differ. My primary car has a timing chain; when I carried it to the mechanic for its 160K mile checkup, they said that there was no reason to replace a timing chain unless it was causing problems. They said you drive it until it pops (with no warning when that might be, if ever). However, timing belts do have a maintenance schedule. :cool:

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Well, it might, depending on other factors.

That said, my car lost its first timing chain on I-95. The engine didn't need to be replaced.

I do agree that OP is out of luck, unless there was an extended warranty that covered it, or the failure is due to some defect that is part of a recall. And even then, sometimes the recall happens after you've had the problem repaired.

The thing is, the lifespan is based on averages (bathtub curve). Some will fail early, others later. There is no guarantee which one your car will be.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

You misunderstood me. I wasn't saying they had a fixed time or mileage, but you can inspect them on condition at high time (or just replace them prophylactically). Still, it's not the seller's fault unless he made representations as to the chain's condition (unlikely).

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
.. my car lost its first timing chain on I-95. The engine didn't need to be replaced.
The amount of damage to the engine really depends on the design of the engine. For example, on my older vehicle, if the timing chain broke, it would tear up the valves and total the car.

831Jen

What kind of vehicle is it? Are you sure it's a timing chains d not a timing belt? Have you had the vehicle looked at by a reputable licensed mechanic or just what the tow truck driver told you? To be honest you should have it looked by a mechanic because you won't know the extent of the damage until the vehicle has been inspected and started to take apart to find out if the valves were bent and whatnot. It is possible that it just broke and that's the only damage. And as for the dealership where you bought the vehicle two months ago, wasn't there a buyers guide on the vehicle when you purchased it? If there was it should state if there is a warranty or not and if there is it should state what it covers, how long/mileage and how much they will pay to fix the vehicle, so look for a buyers guide and have a licensed mechanic diagnose the vehicle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">