• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought car from used car lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilbach

Bought a car about 20 days ago no warranty mentioned, although i did sign "as is" papers, it needs a repair for about $1000 and just wondering if i would have to pay for it or not. I know of the Lemon Law but just trying to find out.
state of louisiana

Last edited:

Junction

Bought a car about 20 days ago no warranty mentioned, although i did sign "as is" papers, it needs a repair for about $1000 and just wondering if i would have to pay for it or not. I know of the Lemon Law but just trying to find out.
state of louisiana
First, here is LA's lemon law so you understand what that means: Under the Louisiana Lemon Law, the vehicle's manufacturer or the authorized dealer must either repair or replace the vehicle after the manufacturer or dealer has made 4 attempts to repair the vehicle, or the vehicle has been inoperable for 45 days due to repairs, the vehicle must be replaced or refunded.

Beyond that, you mentioned there is no warranty mentioned and you signed "as is" papers. It sounds like the repair is 100% your responsibility. It's up the buyer to have the car inspected before purchasing to avoid problems like this. Enjoy your car and learn from your experience so as to not repeat the same mistakes. Good luck!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
First, here is LA's lemon law so you understand what that means: Under the Louisiana Lemon Law, the vehicle's manufacturer or the authorized dealer must either repair or replace the vehicle after the manufacturer or dealer has made 4 attempts to repair the vehicle, or the vehicle has been inoperable for 45 days due to repairs, the vehicle must be replaced or refunded.
Irrelevant - and a red herring. Furthermore, it's incorrect.

Beyond that, you mentioned there is no warranty mentioned and you signed "as is" papers. It sounds like the repair is 100% your responsibility. It's up the buyer to have the car inspected before purchasing to avoid problems like this. Enjoy your car and learn from your experience so as to not repeat the same mistakes. Good luck!
I agree with this.

adjusterjack

Perhaps you should have read the lemon law before making that statement. It applies to new vehicles within the original warranty period or 1 year from the original delivery date whichever is less.

http://autopedia.com/html/LemonLaw/LA_lemonlaw3.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">