+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1

    Bought car from used car lot

    Bought a car about 20 days ago no warranty mentioned, although i did sign "as is" papers, it needs a repair for about $1000 and just wondering if i would have to pay for it or not. I know of the Lemon Law but just trying to find out.
    state of louisiana


    Last edited by lilbach; 12-02-2017 at 05:45 PM.
  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by lilbach View Post
    Bought a car about 20 days ago no warranty mentioned, although i did sign "as is" papers, it needs a repair for about $1000 and just wondering if i would have to pay for it or not. I know of the Lemon Law but just trying to find out.
    state of louisiana
    First, here is LA's lemon law so you understand what that means: Under the Louisiana Lemon Law, the vehicle's manufacturer or the authorized dealer must either repair or replace the vehicle after the manufacturer or dealer has made 4 attempts to repair the vehicle, or the vehicle has been inoperable for 45 days due to repairs, the vehicle must be replaced or refunded.

    Beyond that, you mentioned there is no warranty mentioned and you signed "as is" papers. It sounds like the repair is 100% your responsibility. It's up the buyer to have the car inspected before purchasing to avoid problems like this. Enjoy your car and learn from your experience so as to not repeat the same mistakes. Good luck!


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    71,315
    Quote Originally Posted by Junction View Post
    First, here is LA's lemon law so you understand what that means: Under the Louisiana Lemon Law, the vehicle's manufacturer or the authorized dealer must either repair or replace the vehicle after the manufacturer or dealer has made 4 attempts to repair the vehicle, or the vehicle has been inoperable for 45 days due to repairs, the vehicle must be replaced or refunded.
    Irrelevant - and a red herring. Furthermore, it's incorrect.

    Beyond that, you mentioned there is no warranty mentioned and you signed "as is" papers. It sounds like the repair is 100% your responsibility. It's up the buyer to have the car inspected before purchasing to avoid problems like this. Enjoy your car and learn from your experience so as to not repeat the same mistakes. Good luck!
    I agree with this.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    4,249
    Quote Originally Posted by Junction View Post
    First, here is LA's lemon law so you understand what that means: Under the Louisiana Lemon Law, the vehicle's manufacturer or the authorized dealer must either repair or replace the vehicle after the manufacturer or dealer has made 4 attempts to repair the vehicle, or the vehicle has been inoperable for 45 days due to repairs, the vehicle must be replaced or refunded.
    Perhaps you should have read the lemon law before making that statement. It applies to new vehicles within the original warranty period or 1 year from the original delivery date whichever is less.

    http://autopedia.com/html/LemonLaw/LA_lemonlaw3.html


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    71,315
    Quote Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
    Perhaps you should have read the lemon law before making that statement. It applies to new vehicles within the original warranty period or 1 year from the original delivery date whichever is less.

    http://autopedia.com/html/LemonLaw/LA_lemonlaw3.html
    And requires mediation prior to any buyback/replacement.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Galaxy at Large
    Posts
    8,316
    Quote Originally Posted by lilbach View Post
    ...i did sign "as is" papers...
    Okay so you answered your own question.


+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Bought used car, changed mind, bought new car
    By SIRIUS in forum Consumer Contracts, Guarantees and Warranties
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-17-2002, 05:29 PM
  2. Bought Used Car As Is
    By GailLea in forum Lemon Law
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2002, 02:54 PM
  3. bought a new car
    By ozzzzzz in forum Consumer Contracts, Guarantees and Warranties
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-26-2001, 12:35 PM
  4. BOUGHT NEW CAR
    By redcat3 in forum Consumer Contracts, Guarantees and Warranties
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2001, 11:23 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© Since 1995 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.