• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I claim these abandoned cars? If so, how?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marchingt9

I'm in Georgia. At my apartment complex in the visitor parking sections there are 3 cars. All of which are locked, they have not been moved in a year or more (They are gathering dust, and spider webs), one of the vehicles has an expired tag, another has no tag, and the last one has a test drive tag. How can I go about claiming these vehicles as my own if possible. The vehicles are in visibly good condition, and are fairly nice newer cars. I'll provide whatever information I can, just ask.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I'm in Georgia. At my apartment complex in the visitor parking sections there are 3 cars. All of which are locked, they have not been moved in a year or more (They are gathering dust, and spider webs), one of the vehicles has an expired tag, another has no tag, and the last one has a test drive tag. How can I go about claiming these vehicles as my own if possible. The vehicles are in visibly good condition, and are fairly nice newer cars. I'll provide whatever information I can, just ask.
You can't. You have NO RIGHTS to claim them. Report them to the police.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Please clarify what you mean by "... my apartment complex ..." Do you own the complex, or do you rent an apartment in the complex?

If you own it, then you will want to review the laws in your state regarding claiming abandoned vehicles (do a web search and/or call the police to point you in the right direction.) If you are a renter, then I don't know that even calling the police will do anything. The police can't do anything about it without the permission of the property owner.

adjusterjack

You can't. You have NO RIGHTS to claim them.
That's not exactly correct.

The GA abandoned vehicle statute doesn't distinguish between a property owner and anybody else wishing to claim the vehicles.

However, the statute is quite draconian in its procedures. As a practical matter, it's likely a procedure that the OP would not want to go through.

justalayman

Of course the operator of the apartment complex may be fully aware of the cars setting there and has granted permission for them to be there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">